"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, February 06, 2005

The Shelley Novak Awards

The unsinkable Shelley Novak will host her annual drag awards show Monday, Feb. 21st at Crobar. She will begin the night showing another camp classic at her monthly "Hollywood on the verge of a nervous breakdown" series. For ten dollars you get a ticket to the movie being shown at the Miami Beach Cinematheque on Espanola Way, Shelley's riotous repartee, admission to Crobar and the drag awards, and two drinks! Pinch me, I think I'm dreaming.

The drag awards' categories are Best Costume, Best Latin Drag, Best Newcomer, Best Host/MC, Most Comedic, and Most Glamorous. The Lifetime Achievement: Your Career is Over Award will be given to Bridgette Buttercup. I have my favorites, of course, but wouldn't be foolish enough to announce them out loud; I've already voted, too. I am a bit troubled by one name or two which appear every year on the Awards (and win, too). I give credit to anyone who stands out at what they do, but think after several years of dominating a category the drag queen should be elevated to some lofty position like judge to let the others have a chance. The English are good at this; every time they want to get rid of some pesky person they make them an Earl or Viscount and lock them up in the House of Lords. Miami could have a House of Queens that drag matters are brought to and debated.

I am breaking my tradition of staying home on Sundays today; The Palace on Ocean Drive is having a "Sexy Speedo" contest and I love to watch the reaction of the tourists to The Palace's open air drag shows. Let's see, boys in Speedos/drag queens/ drink in my hand. I guess I'm going to a little bit of heaven.

8 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you *do* drag as well Mrs. Astor? I don't believe I've ever asked?

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

I leave entertainment of that sort to the professionals.
Although, if I do look into my archives, I believe we could find evidence of "dressing up". We all have a past.

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i googled you just like you said to on miami ink. you're my favorite superman!

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, just saw you on Miami Ink. I think that you should be proud of yourself. Be proud of who you are. Good luck in the future. I will have to make it to Miami to see your show.

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just seen u on miami ink with ami.... ami is hot but u might be a close tie , just for the way you think and what u beleive in .... stand up for your rights and dont ever care about what others think ....

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I googled you cuz of Miami Inc. Your awesome. Yo go Gurl!

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I googled you cuz of Miami Inc.You go gurl!

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seen you on Miami Ink. You go gurl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home