"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, April 10, 2005


God, what a boring party at the Versace mansion; there is no need to even go into it if I'm home by midnight and sober. There are laws against that on South Beach. But, I did speak with an Italian aviation expert there who told me an interesting story. In 1942 a summit was held to discuss the situation on the Eastern Front (with Russia) between the Germans and Italians, who were bum-rushed into the battle with no weapons or experience. On the flight back from Poland, Mussolini wanted to demonstrate his prowness at having a pilot's license and demanded to fly the plane carrying Hitler, Himmler, and von Ribbentrop. No one could object, but when the request for a co-pilot was made, Hitler was given the choice between an Air Marshall of the Reich or a twenty-year-old air trainee. Hitler said, the Air Marshall sat behind a desk all day and he wanted the boy, but the boy was to NEVER take his hands off the co-pilot wheel. Unfortunatley, they made it back; but--you know what--I would have chosen the 20-year-old any day for anything, too. This is from from collection of Mussolini postcards.

8 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

my dear!
I want u to know that I think about u evertday and that can´t wait to recover myself and visit the palace and let u introduce me to Aaron (god he´s cute!)
I love u!
ian.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Although only a lowly Countess and not The Queen, you are always welcome at The Palace. Get well soon, Ian.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Well, that wasn't put quite right! It should have been "although only a lowly Countess and not The Queen, I welcome you always to The Palace". My mother would have slapped me for phrasing things that badly.

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Ladyship,

A quite fascinating account. The evening doesn't seem to be a total loss with such spirited and informative parlay. You may be only a Countess, but you are our Queen!! Thank you for sharing!

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger Wayne Cronin said...

Cool story. Imagine the outcome had *that* plane crashed....

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

One can only imagine how many lives would have been saved had that plane gone down. Alas.....

Jacob, I'm still waiting.

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Astor,

I left you a message. I'll try again.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Jacob;, my cell phone is possessed by demons. Call me at The Palace. you know 1-800-NICHOLAS THE II. We await your arrival at Tsarskelo Selo; we have imaginary machine guns posted, don't you know?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home