"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, April 24, 2005


A sad day for all. We all attended the farewell dinner for my dear sister, du Barry. Of course, she gave it herself, cooked it herself, and was the light of the table; so like her. Back to Newport she goes for another summer of event planning and cool weather; we'll be baking in the sun (but loving it, actually; there's even less clothing worn here in summer.) Gone will be the long dinners with astounding gossip, real silver, damask napkins, and fine china. We will all be left abandoned to my grill. I will try not to disappoint du Barry until she returns in October. Bye, bye, Countess.

7 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger theColin: (xo) said...

Wow, we just said goodnight and goodbye to our own Alexis tonight! What a roast! *XO*

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parting is such sweet sorrow...But while the cat's away the mice shall GET BUSY!!! Who's nexr?
k

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

::SOB::

Once again, I shall ready the care package of foods and wines for you my darling. We can't have you going hungry!

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

OK, everyone! That is my sister, not me, we are saying goodbye to. I'm not going further than you can throw a croquet ball. du Barry is really another being; she was just too laid back to contribute much else than her glorius life in Newport. I left Rhode Island years ago and plan never to return but for a brief seaside vacation.

Don't write me off!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

akh, I already answered your misguided notion that I am going away.

knottyboy, you are quite right; my sister never, ever, ever approved of my scandalous lifestyle. Now, I'm free to run with the dear.

Yes, Ms. Bees, the cupboard looks really bare. But, before I start gnaing on Italian shoe leather, I will signal for help. As always, you are there.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

OK, just as usual; du Barry is getting into a Rolls while I languish in this swamp. Well, I don't mind it all that much. LET HER GO, the voices keeping telling me.

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger theColin: (xo) said...

oh nononono dear, I know, I didn't think you were going away! I was just commenting on all the good-bying we're all doing to our "people". It just happened that the one we said good-bye to here was named Alexis! Sorry, sweetie! Luv!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home