"the" Mrs. Astor

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Don't Let The Chickens Out

I met another interesting guy at The Palace tonight; I think I overheard his telling the bartender something about Brazil (a country I take a great interest in) and one thing led to another. If I can cut away from everything (pool parties, grab ass, slut friends) that happened, I'd like to remember a fascinating story told about a species of spiders he was studying in The Amazon. There was a very new Tarantula that, Leandro da Silva Castellano, was telling me about while we sipped wine after wine. His great interest was in a new species of Tarantula that had been spotted a few years ago during one of those unfortunate periods when vast areas of the tropical forest were being leveled for farmland. It seems that, out of nowhere, government scientists notice a very, very large tarantula that came out at night "to hunt". Now,for a spider "to hunt" was an action those professionals had never observed before. A very large tarantula had come out of the jungle to a farm, bit a chicken, and CARRIED if off to the the woods. Arachnids don't do this sort of thing, so the scientists rigged up many mini-cameras. The result was that they found, in the Amazon, a tarantula so big and so strong as to be able to bite a chicken and drag it off to a nest of babies, whereupon they would feed. Spiders usually pounce on a victim and leave it at that.

The finding of this film and study is still being evaluated, but Leandro's point was the same as my own: The Rain Forest is being so destroyed, so fast that we may discover a new species of spider or bird every now and then because of it, but the destruction will forever give up our chance for discovering cures and vaccines in an area very few scientists have studied, not to mention the move to extinction for these very creatures.

All this and the fact that Leandro is so cute. Welcome to the stable.

4 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely amazing! I'll have to google this particular tarantula. I wonder if there are pics online?

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

so u had to hear thew whole tarantula story ust to screw that bazilian guy? ewwwwwwwww (aracnophobic here!)


now seriously: it´s horrible what they re doinhg to rain forest, think about this "new species", spiders, mosquitos, and stuff, reaching cities searching for a new habitat...

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Listen Ian, your cynical attitude is becoming a little too much. I loved the story about the tarantula JUST as much as I loved screwing the Brazilian boy-scientist. Really Ian, I may be shallow, but I love learning something new (and uncut).

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

cynical? honney im suffering here!

since i was a kid i´ve been having serious problems with spiders...
aracnophobia is more than a bad horror movie... i had it for years...

if a guy, no matter how hot or uncut he would be, came up to me talking about spiders...he will get a painfull kick on his ass...and, of course a bann on my contact list.

I wasn´t being cynical, i was just getting the picture of the situation as if i were wearing your shoes.

oh! bombing the jungle to eliminate all spiders sounds like the answer to most of my fears! (RE: jofree´s comment)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home