"the" Mrs. Astor

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Security and The First Arrivals

Our night began again on the balcony above The Palace and it couldn't have been more beautiful. A warm breeze drifted off The Atlantic, the street below teamed with Spring Breakers, and a full moon was slowly rising over The Ides of March. We headed out to the new branch of renown restaurant, Hosteria Romana, just on the other side of The Tides hotel. I love the building Romana has moved into as it stands out among the Deco buildings of Ocean Drive adding more than a bit of French elegance to our block. To our horror, Romana's license to serve alcohol had been held back and although I went on about how we REALLY came for the food, there was no hiding the grief (especially since there was a bottle of unopened Chianti on every table and none of us brought a large pocket book.) The only smug expression came from someone who doesn't drink. For the rest of us, throwing ourselves on our sword seemed a viable option, but we struggled through the gorgeous dinner even if the Italian staff was trying just a little too hard to be loud, obnoxious Neopolitans. How I wanted to give them a lesson in manners.

Dear Constanza sent a worried note about security measures and I assured her that every precaution has been taken. Jeremy returns on Friday to take control of the ferocious 7th again, Ben is leading his 12th Dragoons and Quilting Bee, Jesse is leading the 19th Jewish Batallion of Westchester, and Neil Bull has contributed his 1st Gay British Huzzahs. The Palace will be awash in uniformed young men this weekend for the first dignitaries arrive Thursday afternoon led by Jesse and our turkey bodyguard from Thanksgiving, gay Morman Dave. They will be followed by Officer Brian, The Countess Bedelia, Lahoma van Zandt and company, Bob and Terry from NYC, and The Countess du Barry of Newport, to name a few. No chances can be taken and undercover agents of The Ohkrana have been dressed in thongs and Speedos to blend in with the crowds outside The Palace gates. Rest assured, Constanza, this is one Balkan powderkeg that is NOT going to explode.

3 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

My dear Mrs. Astor, I am so relieved to hear of the extraordinary security measures you are taking. I could use a few dragoons for protection tonight as I will be barhopping at Ft. Myers beach with several very large and muscular baseball players. Who knows what shape I will be in when I arrive at the Palace!!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Officer Brian said...

Sitting here at Logan Intenational airport. It's 845AM in Boston, and it's Saint's Patricks Day. Standing room only at all the bars at the airport. Let the sin, begin!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Alexis, I got your lovely invitation and I am sorely tempted to drop trou, err... everything and attend. Unfortunately, common sense concerning my impending relocation makes me think it would be too reckless even for me. I truly want to, though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home