"the" Mrs. Astor

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Life's Work Goes ON


I wouldn't want anyone to think that while I was adrift for a week in the nostalgia of home that I didn't keep up my charity work. While working on plans for a home for refugee Lebanese boys, I noticed a new face at court. He was not unnoticed by other courtiers and did not lack attention, but on the third day we managed to draw him into our circle.

His name is Marco, he's from Germany, stands 6' 3"and is visiting for four weeks; he had no clue how to accomplish all the things he wanted to do. The poor thing had even booked a room in a hotel that usually rents by the hour.

I sent a houseman off for some supplies. First I took a bat to swat all the vultures circling around Marco; most know better than to interupt my charity work! Then in the best tradition of Auntie Mame, I gave him a pad and a pen and asked him to write down all the places he wanted to go, leaving four lines between each one. It was the usual stuff: The Everglades, Key West, Ft. Lauderdale, Little Havana.... I summoned over two other court officials and we wrote directions, warnings, hints, and opinions in those blank lines (one even wrote a phone number, but I let it go). The next day I saw him off to the first leg of his journey, Ft. Lauderdale; his face was already glowing from the Miami, summer sun.

6 Comments:

At 1:30 AM, Blogger Pandora Wilde said...

Oh, Mrs. A, he's adorable! Can we keep him? Huh? Huh?

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the blonde from Russia's name was Marco...aye...sooooooooo many to keep track of!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Serra, when he returns I'll bundle him up and send him to you.

The Russian didn't need our help; he was helping himself already.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Showtune said...

You sent him up my way and didn't give him my number?!?!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

Showtune, as you will remember, sharing is not part of the SoBe vocabulary.

I thought the glow came from that trip to the Gent's...

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

LADIES! Decorum, please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home