"the" Mrs. Astor

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Nigella Bites

by du Bois
Miami Beach

I just purchased my second cookbook written by UK television superstar, Nigella Lawson. It's entitled "Nigella Bites", the title of her TV cooking show. Nigella is not the typical cooking show host. She's not homey in a Martha Stewart way and she doesn't exude the showmanship of Emeril, but what she does possess is something rarely seen in that world: Glamour.

Having grown up watching Julia Child, I have to say that the modern female cook has come a long way in the form of Nigella. Her inherent sense of style and beauty no doubt reflects the years she spent working for British Vogue and she was even voted number 84 on AskMen.com's list of the 99 Most desirable Women. The Two Fat Ladies, bless their hearts and souls, never could claim that on their resume. Nigella earned a degree in Medieval and Modern Languages at Oxford and went on to work for The Times, Daily Telegraph, Guardian, and other UK papers. Beauty and brains; you just don't see that on cooking shows. Her appeal and charm are always a part of her recipes, and she often says, "If it tastes good, eat it". She doesn't bend to the food fascists who would have you substitute taste for supposed health; her ingredients are natural foods prepared in classic manner for maximum pleasure. She was once quoted as saying, "I am not a chef. I am not even a trained or professional cook. My qualifications is as an eater. What a gal!

I may not be getting to the book soon with the flurry of activity here in Miami that constitutes "The Season", but when I do and when I test cook a few they will be passed on. I can't wait (and neither can my dog, KiKi, who shares all my cooking).

1 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger epicurist said...

I absolutely adore Nigella! I think her sexual and sensual appeal is in her casualness and her unabashed love for food. She speaks about it like sex. I love it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home