"the" Mrs. Astor

Monday, February 07, 2005


Mrs. Stuyvesant "Mamie" Fish (seated, far right) was one of the great hosts and wits of New York and Newport society. Although a member of The Mrs. Astor's "Four Hundred", Mamie wasn't so stiff and formal. She once sent out invitations to a dinner honoring a mysterious prince; when the guests arrived they found that the "prince" was a monkey dressed in white tie and tails. She did not hide the fact that she hated opera and held the pretentious, afternoon "musicales" so popular in society with great disdain. When asked what her favorite instrument was, Mamie replied, "The comb."

5 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am mamie's great grandson. I have a 18 month old daughter called mamie! I contacted you a while ago but received no reply. Please respond. Chris fish

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger klg. said...

A friend of mine owns the 50 inch opera pearl and diamond necklace that mamie owned. She has a picture from Vogue magazine with mamie wearing the necklace.Would you have any idea who designed the piece?

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

chris, I sent you an email.

klg, I'm doing my best to find out. I have calls into every jeweler I know.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

klg....I would LOVE to see that picture. Any idea how I can do that. (email me; it's easier)

 
At 1:50 AM, Anonymous C Christopulos said...

I love the history of this woman! Her house on the drive is now sadly condos. What I would give to live there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home