"the" Mrs. Astor

Thursday, February 02, 2006


Leigh Bowery and The "Lady" Bunny in The Green Room of Mars.

The Green Room's floor, furniture, and walls were upholstered in Astroturf; it made for a rather comfortable room. How many times did I hear or did I say, "Going to Mars tonight? OK, see you in The Green Room." It had two distinctions: One, it was right off of Perfidia's room where she played the most fantasmic period music to the crowds of adoring drag queens and their fans (whom I photographed and videoed), and, Two, was on the path to that floor's bathrooms. It provided a venue for people-watching along with the opportunity of being invited into the bathroom.

I was the only one allowed into Mars with a video camera (an early Sony mini) as it was deemed that my attention to drag queen's posed no threat to the club's other, more sinister, operations. Who needed sinister operations when you had Connie Girl swinging from ceiling pipes and Joey Stephano being fucked with beer bottles on the pool table? Heady times.

Leigh Bowery was one of those characters that Life only grants one of per lifetime. An Australian boy who turned society upside down with a life lived in makeup and costume, Leigh managed to shock even jaded, New York nightlife. He was at home sewing sequins on a leather face mask as he was shooting ping-pong balls out of his ass at Michael Alig's Disco 2000. Once in a lifetime.

Lady Bunny is so cute here; for once her hair was not higher than she was. It was her email to me yesterday which prompted me to look at old photos. I recommend her DVD, "Rated X, For X-tra Retarded."

9 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Mrs. Astor, You need to write your own memoirs. You had the camera, You had the stories, You are still here to chronicle the glory days of New York City.

In the meantime, I will buy Lady Bunny's DVD and other first person reports of the glory days. The days of wine and roses. The days that you, Mrs. Astor, have recorded.

We are your captive audience, dahling. Enlighten us.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Oh, Countess, you make me blush. Officer Brian told us last night that you are his "date" at the wedding. How luscious1

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Officer Brian is a beautiful man with a big heart. But I thought he wanted to surprise you; you know how he loves his surprises!

BTW, do you have an official date yet or does Ian have more hurdles to jump before the U.S. deems him fit to step foot on U.S. soil? It would have been faster if he went through that tunnel they just found in Mexico !!

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Because my Best Man, Jeremy, is away on military business it looks like the third week in March. (After three weeks together, Ian an I should be ready for a marriage.)

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Ed Grow said...

Ok, good news then bad news.

Good news: I absolutely loved this post. Oh, Alexis.

Bad news: Craiger "Derwood" Sassy-pants was shown the picture of you in front of the penis throne, and was not amused.

So if our internet flirting relationship is to continue, I suggest I become your kept boy. Just don't tell your blonde-ubermensch fiance.

Love.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Black and Tan Mark said...

Mrs. A,
Damn. After reading your post, I paused to think: Is it just me, or is South Beach really that pedestrian now? 10 years ago SoBe was much more like the Green Room ~

B&T

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

ED! That picture was for your eyes alone; please tell Craiger that my intentions are noble. (BTW, if you tap three times on the drain pipe I will throw down the key a la The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone.) And, Ian is jealous enough; we don't need to tell him about us.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

ED IS CELLEBRATING HIS LAST DAY IN LIFE....

CHEERS!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Ed Grow said...

Ian-
Just becuase I am a 20 year old 6'1", 165 lb twink, who enjoys older men (especially those with gray hair...mmm...silver foxes) does not mean you should be threatened by me or my encyclopedic knowledge of Bette Davis. I am sure Alexis is all yours...wink. Love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home