"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, January 15, 2006



Art Deco Weekend packed Ocean Drive; I met Deco enthusiasts from Chicago, California, Britain, and Italy and The Palace was overflowing with these visitors, our fanatical regulars, and--of course--The 7th and my beloved Jeremy, their captain and my protector.

I was totally involved with design ideas when into my office stormed Jeremy, Matt, and even Tiffany. They politely demanded I appear in the main bar. I bid a temporary farewell to my sweet and walked out into the usual frenzy; the packed bars and restaurant were joined by a huge crowd gathering in anticipation of Miss Tiffany's show. I've always been amused by the general public's fascination with drag. At Monday's birthday party for Tiffany one Venezuelan family in particular was enthralled by the six-foot three-inch entertainer wearing a floor-length ballgown and a tiara. When Tiffany approached them and began singing an impromptu pop song without the benefit of musical back-up ,the children (quadruplets, no less) started dancing in a circle around her. It was surreal.

Similarly, she danced with and teased men yesterday in the middle of Ocean Drive who would ordinarily never think of associating with a gay man, but who were more than happy to do the Bunny Hop with a drag queen. A regular ambassador of fun, Tiffany even manage to entice a number of them into our bars for a drink; I overheard one guy tell a buddy that he would let a drag queen blow him, but never a guy. My head spun.

Also heartily enjoy on that brilliant Saturday afternoon was the first-ever "Arf" Deco Dog Promenade, The Miami Dance Machine's performance of ballroom dancing for children, and The Argentine (!) Tango champions Colette and Richard who performed on a specially-constructed stage. I was exhausted by the time I arrived home to KiKi.

And it is all about to start again on another spectacular winter day on South Beach.

6 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger Officer Brian said...

And to think I wasted all of my good years playing the masculine role, when all I needed to do was throw on a dress and call myself Ms. Brianna? How truly cruel life is...

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Ms. Brianna and her deadly "One-on-one night swim". A true classic that brought many a man to her feet.

Jeremy, you can do drag only if you are still protecting me. I suggest Barbara Stanwyke's big Valley denim skirt with a twelve gauge. (Thanks for the new pic of yourself in my pool. Ah, the memories.)

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

no, but u look so goegeous in that poolpic that a mispelling doesn´t count.

Brian, primo. STOP LYING!!
I have pics of some Miss Pons that looks exactly like u on a wig!!!

were u trying to give some BJ´s that night?

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

I knew it! The very Miss Pons that had dazzled so many a cock was no other but our Ms. Brianna.

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think my Saturday night of drunkenly shooting ping pong balls out of my mangina at the forheads of my friends even compares to the fun you bestowed on the masses. Deco days, who knew you people knew anything about art and culture. You Floridians never cease to amaze me.
:)
love,kb

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Officer Brian said...

I need to clear up this ugly rumor, I am NOT Tam Pons...anyone who knows me, could tell that she wasn't me. I don't smoke butts and drink 36oz Bud cans. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home