"the" Mrs. Astor

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Sex With Kings

I love Lahoma van Zandt. I remember way, way back in the eighties when she first told me, "You're so sweet" and I thought I was the only one she said that to. She bewitched me with her fits of fashion, her long, blonde hair, and the vast amount of useless knowledge she managed to acquire. She lived with RuPaul, Lady Bunny, and Larry Tee in a crumbling townhouse at 5 Ninth Avenue; when it rained we had to get all the pots and pans to collect the water. The east wall of the building bulged out and we knew that at any time we could be under the rubble, but were having too much fun to care.

Lahoma is sober now and an editor of a national magazine; she's a boy, too, again. She just sent me a copy of "Sex With Kings" by Eleanor Herman. Ever the one to know what I'm about, Lahoma's book has a review from The Times that is the mirror of my life: "Five hundred years of adultery, power, rivalry, and revenge. Sexy, dishy, and funny." I love you, Lahoma, even if you told EVERYONE they were so sweet, while I thought it was only me.

4 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those must have been heady times. Heady times indeed. And I reiterate, their accessories closet must have been HEAVEN on earth.

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read that book.

It's pretty damn good.

Probably not as good as Lahoma or you could tell if you wanted to though.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Bees, the main accessory was a straw, if I remember correctly.

Mikerzz, I started reading that book at The Palace bar this afternoon. A rum and coke in one hand, the book in another and the palm, palms swayed across the street. I realized I am in paradise.

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well of course it was. A gal's got to keep her figure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home