"the" Mrs. Astor

Friday, July 01, 2005

Jacob

I got a call from New York yesterday. I hate telephone calls, but there are always a few names that, when displayed, cause a little rush in me. Jacob is one of them. He read the confused post of two days ago and reminded me that there is little possibility of taking life seriously in a town where briefcase-carrying people are wearing flip flops and shorts.

It was way back in 2002 when an underling came to me and said, "There's someone looking for a job." I hate this sort of thing, but always make the effort to be gracious--at least for ten seconds. It usually takes me about that much time to determine whether a person full of shit or not.

I walked into the room, squinted, and saw a striking young man with blue eyes and blonde hair cut in a Dutch Boy shape. We had a very, very brief conversation, I asked him to return the next day, and turned to the underling and muttered, "Hired". In a town that bogs down in the heavy, humid air, Jacob was a fresh breeze from California. More than that, he was intelligent (a
rarity here), well-traveled (a rarity here), and completing his degree by attending UM.

Jacob was the new, star employee and rapidly rose through the ranks without any help from me. Of course, I provided a little protection from the vipers who saw an upstart impeding their own way up the staircase, but he held his own. I think now that he might have appeared a little like Eve Harrington to those other employees, but who cared.

I was always lecturing Jacob about getting involved with the wrong crowd; there is the "wrong" crowd that's fun and the "wrong" crowd that's wrong. One day he showed up at my doorstep with his bags; his crazy roommate had crossed the line, Jacob had moved out, and he was now being stalked. To this day Jacob refers to this period as "...the time I lived in the rafters of your villa and looked down upon debauchery." I like to refer to it as the time he lived in a spacious, second floor bedroom with lovely north and east views and when he always shared the same champagne from the same slipper. He was the boy in the leather mask who clung to the breast of The Blood Countess at Gerry Kelly's memorable 2002 costume ball and, after an all-too-brief year in Miami, Jacob returned to finish his studies in Spain.

Now Jacob is the general manager of a posh, new restaurant in New York and we speak every week about business, people, wine tasting, drag queens, celebrity sightings, and dogs that can dance the tango. I always get a rush when "Jacob"is displayed on the phone.

6 Comments:

At 5:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, that's so cute. Everyone should have a Jacob in their life.

x

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Ed Grow said...

Now I know where I have seen you before "the" Mrs. You are Addison DeWitt. You tiger.

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the Mrs. Astor simply stated is the most distinguished, well spoken, charming person one can ever know. From the moment I met her she has been a genuine friend and mentor. My several years in Miami were greatly enhanced with her tales of intrigue, breathtaking social commentaries, and unmatched wit. There is nobody better to know in Miami than the Mrs. Astor, and I'll always be greatful. I model my restaurant on your influence, hiring beautiful boys (and firing them when I realize they are dimwits), and having an evening glass of luscious Marquax, or perhaps a complex Priorat, looking out from our open terrace into the lovely view of East 6th Street, imagining I see the beach, and scantily clad business men in thongs with their breif cases walking home from another long day at the office. the Mrs. Astor has saved me from many hairy situations, and I'll forever be indebted to you. I bow to you my dear. Your the rarest and finest jewel from the most distant, exoctic land. Your contribution to polite society can not be more apparent in Miami, or anywhere else for that matter (except for maybe Twist, where nothing ever polite happens, but that's the way it should be and just they way we like it). I'd be nothing in Miami if it wasn't for the Mrs. Astor! Cheers my dear!!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

oh he was so sweet!! how much does it cost u forcing him to write that!!!

now seriosly: though i never meet u in person, i can assure hes absolutely right (call it my queer 6th sense). the way your words were always there to support me during my days at the clinic and how sweet your emails are... i will never forget that A.

I love you

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to join in on this "homo lovefest" outta MY WAY!!

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

I'm only hugging women today; come closer, Bees.

Oh, and Ed, the Addison DeWitt analogy had crossed my mind and, when it did, I thought of you, dear, sweet, concerned Ed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home