"the" Mrs. Astor

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Thyme Flies


Has it been only twenty years since Lady Bunny and a gang (and there is no better term) of drag queen hoodlums took over Tompkins Square Park and created Wigstock? I remember being hoisted on my drag queen father's shoulders to watch the first event; I was licking a fudgesicle and thinking how much I liked to see boys in dresses. Bunny-although she says she was six years old at the time--was actually thirty-eight. She's WAY old by now, but still puts on a crowd-pleasing performance. I saw Peggy Lee once in a walker, and it sort of reminds me of that. You have to give the "Lady" a hand for entertaining so many, for so little, for so LONG. God bless you, Bunny, because even He wears a wig on your saint's day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home