"the" Mrs. Astor

Monday, August 01, 2005

Farewell to Hildegarde

One of my favorite performers of the Old School, "The incomparable" Hildegarde died yesterday. Scarily, I had just mentioned how I used to go to all her shows when she appeared at The Russian Tea Room. (I did that several months ago when I wrote about my mother, and she died a week later; scary.)

I always bribed my way to a front table; you know, if you are going to see a legend do it right. She was one of the only musicians every to play the piano with opera gloves on. At her final performance we were close enough (right next to the piano, actually) that during her two breaks Bibi and I had to rise from our seats to let he pass. As she stepped off the stage, I offered my hand, but she grabbed my thumb (more practical, perhaps, with gloves). The second time she stepped off the stage I offered my thumb and she smiled. After the show (and we were all bawling like babies), I waited for her at the foot of the stairs from the second floor; I had a book she had written many years earlier entitled, "Over Fifty, So What?". As she came down the stairs she smiled and said, "My Thumb." and I offered it. My favorite song, of course, was "Darling, Je Vous Aime Beaucoup", a touching yet happy love song that always makes me smile.

13 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

I loved the story Thumb man...wait, u´ve been writting about me for the past two weeks.... AM I GONNA DIE???????????????????

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

No darling; the difference is that I can't stop writing about you. That keeps you alive.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

indeed
i luv ya!

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms Bees Knees and I were talking about you and Ian yesterday. SHe is a doll and a hoot ta boot! We were wondering what part of the gay mafia you fall from. How many bodies and great looking gowns you have tucked away under a floorboard. We were toying with the idea of coming to see you and your glamorousness.
k
Sad to hear the passing of another star from the heavens. I've unfortunately never heard her music. But am downloading the song you spoke of for my iPod.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Knotty, I'll answer the first paragraph shortly. But let me know how you liked that song.

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn "straight" we are! Me and Knotty are heading to Miami by way of, wherever the hell Ed Grow lives, and then when we het to South Beach, we'll all sit around and ADORE ME!!! Doesn't that sound amazing!!!???

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

I don't think that little smart ass, Ed Grow, adores anything but his witty, sharp tounge.

Message to City: "Draw the bridges! The Huns are approaching."

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

thank god I´m safe in BA

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lovely. Please post more pics of LPJ. Thanks.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger theColin: (xo) said...

just wanted to pop in and say that I love you my dear... take care now! XoXo

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

OK, OK More pics coming of LPJ. I just have to finish reading the instruction book the size of the Bible on my new camera. The software is loaded, I am loaded, and LPJ is always ready to take off his clothes for artistic reasons.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

I love your stories. Especially about royalty like Hildegarde! You are FAB!

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

No, not me. Hildegarde was fab; one of a kind. I love that song so much. I think if you recognize "fab", enjoy it, and strive to see it in person, you attain a level of happiness that stays with you forever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home