"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, November 06, 2005

The Palace Rebounds


Pearl always adds a bit of exotic mystery to any night.

The Palace was bursting with activity today; the word was out that we had reopened, and many, many customers showed up in support. Jeremy--who is recovering from malaria--made a brave show of support, and I bow to him for dragging himself in to salute our return. Although tired from everything that happened, I managed a twelve hour day (with a contractual costume change allowed).

But. what do you know, on our first full day of business, who shows up, but he Bible People again. But, by the time I made it to the front, the police had already surrounded them; this time they used a little-known law that you need a permit to protest on City property (the beach). Although several customers had crossed the street for confrontation, the cops diffused the situation. I don't know; we don't picket their churches in protest of intolerance, mixing church and state, or even rampant pedophilia. Why do they want to disrupt a peaceful, fun Saturday afternoon of people not intent upon anything but having a good time? (Well, I guess I just answered my own question, didn't I.? Good times=sin)

It's good to be back, but the problems resultant of this storm are harsh in solution.

1 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Jeremy, I stole it out of your closet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home