"the" Mrs. Astor

Monday, August 21, 2006

Tailgate Party...

...a la du Barry. My sister treated The Countess, Mark, Officer Brian, and others to one of her famous tailgate parties on the grounds of the Newport Polo Club. As you see, no one actually has to sit in the sun, eat off of paper plates or with plastic utensils.

Oh how I miss her days here, although she is in her element in Newport. (I remember one of her final statements here, "I am over this Latin thing." with a haughty wave of the hand.) When she left South Beach, formal dining amongst our crowd ceased. I had the ability, but not the time. We didn't exactly have to resort to eating boiled grass, but the multi-coursed, silver and china-served, sit-down dinners drifted away with the frangrance of the Bechamel sauces.

Labor Day Weekend can't come soon enough.

4 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

DuBarry is a Countess of the Highest Order and the epitome of taste and refinement. I adore her!

But she was right about one thing, you sometimes get your stories mixed up....LOL!

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

The woord "Tailgate" made me smile.... remember Astor?

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Black and Tan Mark said...

As I tend to some spreadsheets this posting brings back fond memories. I can hear the polo match being called now...

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Countess, I didn't get the issue of The Times containing the exact guest list, but isn't it better than be "others"?

I remember; it was the first post you commented on. Ah...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home