"the" Mrs. Astor

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I went shopping today. I know "you should shop for the one you love", but I shopped for ME. While gazing over malachite cigarette boxes and rhodandite vases, I stumbled across a magnificent brooch, described as a suberb example of a "Renaissance-style brooch".

Now call me "classic", but this is no ordinary "Renaissance" anything, because it is simply not Renaissance. That aside--and surely anyone who knows me understands that I give a lot of leeway to everything and everyone--this is an supreme example of Imperial Russian taste. The piece was designed just before the first World War and greatly ornamated, not by Faberge', but one of his competitors. Imperial Russian taste was a hybrid of Western European ideas and the barbaric nature of the East. This produced extreme examples of "ideas" or "notions" of The Other World that existed out of St. Petersburg.

I particularly enjoy the profile; unlike the French who profiled only African images of Egypt, the Russians dug deeper into the soul of the world as they imagined. (This is not a profile of Nefertiti, it is one of a Negro queen.) The Dowager Empress, Marie, was fabled and chastised for owning a collection of monkeys with clocks in their abdomens. Similarly, one has to think of the two, bejeweled and turbaned Ethiopians who stood at the door the Nicholas and Alexandra's private apartments in The Alexander Palace to comtemplate their vision of Africa.

And, the jewels. This was not a piece for some ordinary countess; it was most probably a presentation piece from the Imperial Family.

All I know is I want it; and it is a bargain at $6,300. Christmas is coming.

5 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

I´m sorry Astor, but I´m not paying 6.300 for a Button of Miss Tiffany´s Campaign.

I´ll volunteer for her party, maybe I´d get one fo free


and a free t´shirt for you!!

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

Oh my god! Did Knottyboy do that? That is AMAZING!!!

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

I agree not particularly old, but striking. Seems likely to be Russian, but the jeweler would get a higher price for a quality Russian piece than a Renaissance-like attribution. Pearls and amethyst? Is the setting silver or platinum? (if it is silver, it never saw a day in court, but get the hallmarks) Is the cameo carved from basalt or another stone? $6,300 seems rather dear, bargain, bargain, bargain. A Countess knows how to do that...

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Showtune said...

How do you know so much about EVERYTHINIG?

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

SHOWTUNE...IS SIMPLE:

They´re old

 

Post a Comment

<< Home