"the" Mrs. Astor

Monday, June 25, 2007

Ray’s Latino Night in the back bar ended last night. It was not “the burning of Atlanta” some thought; it was more like the scorching of Hialeah. And for all their tough looks and gang hand gestures, they were really the softess bunch of pansies around; I got to know almost every one and found them caring and wonderful.

What were they? Loyal for one; if we asked them to dress in white and come on a Wednesday they did in unison. Well educated for another; most held professional jobs. And crazily sexy and good-looking, too. They knew how to have fun and even taught me a few things about that.

At the end of the night, many of them were crying and that was very moving for me. I thought I would lose it when one of them came up to me and said, “I thought we were supposed to support The Palace; why don't they support us?”. I tried to explain that all things change and that evolution is natural; I told them we would always stick together and move on to better things.

It didn’t matter; they still cried.


The last back bar body shot was hosted by the crazy Thomas Barker, who hosted the first. The sexy German, Mentos, got to feed off of his favorite.

David will always be a favorite.




This is a new favorite in town. He fit in quite nicely.







Mystery "women" were everywhere. They are favorites at any party.



There are the old favorites, of course.







And the new.


Even nice, Jewish boys got down and dirty.
















It was the "happy place" of Officer Brian's memoirs. It still is.











Thank you, Ray, for an amazing five months in that back bar. You taught me something about loyalty I didn't think existed in this brazenly shallow town. Sure, you are a "favorite", but show me someone who doesn't value hard work, honesty, and loyalty and I will show you a fool. We all worked very hard, but in a strange way, I'm happy to have my Sunday nights back. Try a Friday next time......






4 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

I have a tear in my eye just reading about it. Give RayRay a big hug and kiss from The Countess. He will get one in person when I get there this fall.

Now, On with D-Bar!!

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you all DO down there? The only thing of which I am certain is that you all do it with a gusto not often witnessed in polite society.

I must come visit some day.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Thanks Jerimiah; that was very moving, too. I love those guys.

Countess, we all were a little teary-eyed, but it will go on in some other manner. A force like that can never be put back in the bottle.

Mikevil, you'd love it.

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a delicious latin glorious sight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home