"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, July 01, 2007



I'm going backward in time, but that is the only way to do it, now. Dr. Brad's son, Gabriel, had left me on my own devices again, and I made it to The Palace at 6 PM just before a violent thunderstorm.

And, who did I see at the top of the side staircase? Yes, Mrs. Stuyvesant-Fish, cackling like a magpie. After a week of being at the "home", she had managed to bribe a guard with her magnificent properties and come out again; she was, of course, with a margarita in her hand. What a joy it was. The storm was just approaching and Mamie had nothing but scorn about the crowd. "There's no Latinos here", she exclaimed as if her life-support system had been sold to the Chinese. I pointed out that there were more than enough to "go around", at least for a stormy afternoon, and she just snorted and went about her business.

The ferocious storm lasted almost three hours sending everyone into each others' arms; nature, here, has a way of doing that in summer. We like summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home