"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Leopoldo and I stepped out last night to celebrate seven weeks since meeting and spending nearly constant time with each other. Pesky photographers were everywhere; at The Palace I maintain some control over them, but we are fair game outside.

Seven weeks ago today I found myself arriving very late to The Palace and raced, skirt in hand, up the grand staircase to the new security guard, Ruben. "Is everything OK? Do you need anything?", I asked, accidentally brushing into a man sitting by him. I begged his pardon and he stood up, took my hand with his right, and put his left on top of mine and introduced himself; he was a friend of Ruben's who had not been to The Palace in five months. I wonder every day just how being late or taking a different turn can change your life forever.

I don't remember much other than looking into his piercing, brown eyes; later he would tell me he was staring at my blue-grey eyes. I suggested we go to the Hapsburg elegance of Ditmar's bar in back and we tried to make our way through the crowd. Over a half hour later, we arrived and Leopoldo said, "That was amazing". I asked, "What was?" He replied, "You listened to everyone who approached you and either gave them advice or complimented them. They all went away happy; few people can do that." I told him that, apart from that probably being my nature, it was sort of my job. Days later, he would tell me that what impressed him the most was that--despite everything going on--I never left his side. That was true; why would I? Weeks later, we are constantly by each other's side and every day I'm awakened by the same, soft, soothing voice of Leopoldo saying, "Good morning, baby." It is a dream come true.

As befits the changing times, it was Leopoldo who garnered all the attention as we made our way to the back. I was thinking of my favorite Lypsinka T-shirt of her image and the title, "Fame Can Be Poison".




I don't know what some people smoke these days to get by, but a salted pretzel is just a little too much. What happened to good, old-fashioned paint thinner? Geraldine was truly moved today when I showed her all the comments and emails in response to the Katy K Shirt story. We looked at each other in amazement about how a piece of work like that made the rounds and came back to the family.
Today, I recieved the following message from Le Comte La Mot: "Hope the rest of the weekend and week goes well for you and Leopold (I'm glad you found someone that takes care of you for a change)...." Indeed.

5 Comments:

At 5:37 AM, Blogger Jesse said...

You two are like fric and frac - I love it!! :)

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Showtune said...

I couldn't agree more! You deserve your happiness! Huge hugs!

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Black and Tan Mark said...

I'd recognize those placemats anywhere! The 11th Street Diner!! Mazel Tov!
:-) B&T

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How brave that you would post a picture of the two of you in a diner. Seeing how the other half lives?

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger newplanet said...

Oh Alexis, I never realised you were so shy. Come on honey, we all know you're simply too gorgeous to be hiding that face of yours!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home