"the" Mrs. Astor

Friday, September 05, 2008

Update

The baroness's carriage picked me up at 8.30; surely, four days before possible landfall made us the smart ones. First bad sign: the garage at Publix was nearly full; we were not the only smart ones. Water--something I don't buy because of our filter system--was disappearing as fast as large trolleys of it were being restocked. I loaded up on my baby's favorite sodas, another thing I don't personally consume (but baby has to be kept happy) and basically just filled up the cart with things we would use anyway. It was an impatient crowd of nasty Jewish women (loading up on fresh baked products like they will last for a week)and foolish Cuban housewives (thinking ten boxes of Pampers would get them through); it was WAY too early for the gays to be going hysterical. I'll make some signature salads and bake off everything in the freezer, but there is not much else you can or should do. Thomas Barker sent a message that he had just returned from the panhandle where he had the joy of experiencing Gustav in order to now prepare for Ike; "I'm over this already" read his text. Mamie called that she was also flying in from a resort on the panhandle and that she would immediately go to the liquor store (she said something about an "eight ball" party and I couldn't understand why she would be thinking of sports at a time like this). After calling my new handyman, Mike, to help me here, it looks like things will be as secure as they can be. Everyone agreed on one thing: Twist Happy Hour will be our emergency command center through the weekend; I think I have a Civil Defense bonnet somewhere from Le Salon du Barry. Now it's off to Ace Hardware and the dollar store; I'm going in Cuban housewife drag to get preferential treatment.

1 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you wear rollers on your head, chancletas (flip flops) and a batecasa (cuban nightgown)...you'll be in good company with the cuban entourage.


Miss ya lots...
Andy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home