"the" Mrs. Astor

Monday, March 30, 2009

Amidst the craziness of the world around me, I have been following and researching the work of the Christian Appalachian Project simply because I am always amazed at how groups of concerned people can come together to do battle with things like poverty against overwhelming odds, and poverty is a creature that nips at the ankles of so many people these day. I have no use for Christian or Jewish groups who operate under religious foundations to promote themselves, because the more defined your group is the less you find a broad caring; you might as well as go for Aztec. That aside, the CAP has been working overtime in a region in which poverty has the upper hand and, I discovered in the press a local hero in the form of Cuban refugee, Miami native Raul. He left Miami and, after graduating from The University of Miami, found a cause in the Kentucky working with the poor youth, teaching science, health, and anatomy. He is a local hero. So, that always makes me think that when you study the work of Marie, Queen of Romania--who donated a life to an adopted country--you have, right in the back yard, a man of humble beginnings who has donated his time to another adopted country. We are in dire times and need people like this to get us through it.

3 Comments:

At 3:42 AM, Blogger Ed Grow said...

Put your (fuchsia Gucci-square buckled Pilgrim shoo-ed) foot down Alexis! Do you know how many poor souls in the painfully square Midwest are badly dressed, inadequately boozed, and unfabulous?

What are you and the movie star husband doing hogging all that glamor in FL? Bring it to the [peasants] people.

And maybe you and your castle will be spared, whilst all those exotic birds with which you surround yourself are run out of town with torches and sickles by the inevitable Red Army.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Good Lord; maybe I have found a calling. I shall use my Saks discount to help the peasants of the Midwest and thereby save my petite maison from the torch.

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

...And NO ONE should be "inadequately boozed" if I have any say in the matter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home