"the" Mrs. Astor

Thursday, July 07, 2005

My Dear Carl

I hate being serious, but one of my closest friends, Carl Zablotny the publisher of Miami's most read gay newspaper, The Wire, was beaten to a pulp after leaving The Palace's drag show on The Fourth. Two gay bashers followed him for several blocks while he was on the phone to 911 asking for help. 911 was it's usual aloofness, but --of course--the whole thing was taped. Most of the police department was attending the fireworks and there was little to send in the way of help. By the time the police arrived Carl was unconscious on the sidewalk. I and many other business people called police chief de Luca yesterday demanding action. de Luca is an amazingly gay-friendly man who, unfortunately can't depend upon his staff, which is made up of fat cops who don't live with or understand the community. We made it clear that this was no ordinary crime and that we were going to to do the "unthinkable" and make it public. Nothing is "public" here as the City loves to keep everything under wraps for tourist reasons. My calls to the Weasil-Mayor, David Dermer, went unreturned even though Carl, me, and many other gay activists elected that hack three years ago by turning out the gay vote 80% for him. Last night Channel 7, owned and operated by gays, showed up and started their evening's main story. It was about Carl and I had the music turned off so all the customers could hear what happened to a decent man who cared about The Beach and for whom The City cared less for. I'm really sorry public lynching has ceased here because I would begin with The Mayor and work my way down to the commissioners. I am so angry that I cry. I hate being serious; it's not my nature, but when I am--and I and a group of well-connect gays removed a commissioner three years ago--it gets dirty. This morning Chief de Luca publicly stated that he would "sweep" the streets of these animals, and I have no doubt that he will. But the weasil sitting in the mayor's chair is about to find out just what a group of gay business owners and Friends of Dorothy are capable of. The last time there was a public outcry he showed up wearing a yarmulka to show how pious he was; it better be made of kevlar this time, Dermer, because you're going to have some nasty gay WASPS attacking you.

13 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Send my condolences to Carol. He's a strong person, and a truly remarkable soul. What has become of the beach? Gay bashing in SOBE? What a disgrace.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

More than a disgrace, it is an outrage in a town that is so heavily gay-friendly. de Luca personally told me that vans would be out today picking up the trash that has populated this lovely town.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Tom said...

It's so sad that in this day and age, a grown man can still be beaten down on an American street in an American city simply based on another's perception of who he is. You hold their feet to the fire, Alexis. They deserve nothing less.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

My thoughts are with you and your cause hon

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is anonymous joking? If so, it's terribly out of line and simply filthy. Where do these people come from. Our lovely country is filled with scared little biggots, enraged with misdirected anger. This kind of behavior is tacitly endorsed by the leadership of this country, which stigmatizes our community. I think there is more to be affraid of and take offense to in this country than respectable, hard working, honest contributing members of our society. Anonymous, clearly epitomizes the sadness and disparity that is ravaging this country. Go get them darling!!

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

I don't listen to anons; they are like the scum that populate our tropical streets. If they had the guts to identify themselves, I'd have respect for them. As you know, Jacob, no one messes with me in this town; I'm a very public person with absolutely lovely connections everywhere.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Ed Grow said...

OMG. "the" Mrs.

As we all know, you made that town what *it* is, and you can destroy it. Hell hath no fury like that of a fabulous 'mo scorned. You teach those politicians a lesson for me Alexxxis, and the rest of my questioning-but-secretly-gay posse will travel to Florida and reek havoc with our butch ways and sassy attitudes. I love you with all my 20-year-old gay heart Mrs.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

And the poor soul can't even spell. One wonders what he does in his free space from the trailor park. I bet he spends much free time at the local 7-11. They have such tasty sandwiches in the machines.

Poor thing.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger turlie said...

best wishes on your fight. And anonymous comments are made by chicken s7!^s who don't have the backbone to stand up for their beliefs or comments.

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences and best wishes for you and your friend and your community. Go get 'em, Mrs. A!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

OH MY G-D, Alexis!!!

That is all that I know how to say, otherwise I am completely speechless as I sit here going over your post in my mind. I was away in AC for the past few days and didn't return home until last night, so I didn't hear about what happened to Carl until now. I can't believe it - that is one of the most shocking and horrible stories I have ever heard. I'm going over and over the details of it in my mind - and it simply just isn't registering how someone could be that incredibly cruel, vicious, and vile to such a good hearted human being. It seems like just yesterday that I was hanging out with Adam, Alex and Ralph, and met Carl and you outside of Score, getting chastised for wearing the infamous white belt. Even eerier (is that how you spell it?) is how I spoke to you on the 4th of July in the morning, while you were telling me about being busy planning for all the festivities of the day at Palace. Who would have had any idea of what was going to happen later that night? I always felt safe while I was visiting South Beach, and I certainly felt safe and welcome being a young gay guy at Palace. Carl was extremely nice and friendly to me and seems like the kind of soul who wouldn't hurt a fly. That all this transpired - I honestly can't even wrap my mind around it. Is it safe or dangerous there these days? Is Carl going to be okay? Please, please, PLEASE give my regards to him and for the love of g-d - Please, please, PLEASE take care of yourselves and be SAFE!!!

All my love ALWAYS,
Jesse

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an awful story :-( I hope he recovers well and that the scum bags responsibile are brought to justice.

x

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are we sure that it wasn't a former student from John Carroll Universitywho was getting revenge on FATHER Zablotny for trying to seduce him?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home