"the" Mrs. Astor

Saturday, July 02, 2005

The 4th of July Weekend

Early and fresh again; not because I wanted to, but because an airplane flew what must have been ten feet above the house at 6AM. This bout of good behavior will be the death of me because I normally would have just screamed and put a pillow over my head, but instead got up and ironed today's clothing (in summer you have to have 3 to 4 changes ready). Plus, the airlines are NOT supposed to fly over the densely populated coastline. Their approach is supposed to be over The Everglades which, apart from safety, assures that in the event of a crash, like the one of Valuejet's some years back, recovery efforts are minimalized since the alligators eat all the body parts.

Last night was a great success, although I find that I am always hampered in attending my own events; it becomes a night of mindless chatter mixed with eyeing who is entering next. Eventually, my fear of crowds--what keeps me from attending Madonna concerts and public lynching--forced me to take LPJ (my Little Pal Johnny) and my kocktail klatsch out to the terrace. It was warm and sultry and I could still keep an eye on new arrivals.

A hot, steamy holiday weekend will assure that it belongs to The Palace and I will make sure to bring my camera, Mickey; I doubt the good behavior things lasts very long (it's like linen down here: looks and feels good at the start, but doesn't hold up well in heat and sweat).

LPJ expressed his concerns about, in other words, my mental health after this week and said he wants to spend the rest of the weekend with me. Clever, very clever.

3 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure that I know what you speak of. We do a holiday open house and invite butt loads of clients to a huge buffet and live entertainment here in our tiny gallery/home. You put so much effort and time into everything and then you spend the whole night waiting for the other shoe to drop. The best remedy is to let the ships fall where they may and trust that everyone will have a ball even though the chef's finger was served by accident.
k

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

The horror of it all; I even caught myself slipping out early!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

"Uncle" Alexis,

Wow all that fun at the Palace and I'm not there to enjoy it -*snif* that makes me most sad. BUT - the fact that you are livin' it up and reveling in the debauchery of the moment brings a wicked smile to my face! :) And don't worry about mental health - remember the old saying "You're not really paranoid if they sexy gay men in thongs really *are* after you!" (or something like that???) ;) In any event, I miss you like crazy and hope you are enjoying all the decadence in the world down there! I'm coming to visit and look for some cheap run down efficiency studio sometime this month and to start "the next chapter" asap...whatever that entails! You are right...I need to blog more, even if it's random pictures brushing my teeth and one sentence quips! I will try to make you proud and blog more! BUT the biggest point of this comment is that I wanted to tell you to -

HAVE THE HAPPIEST 4th OF JULY HOLIDAY WEEKEND IN THE WORLD!!! :)

Love Always,
"Nephew" Jesse :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home