"the" Mrs. Astor

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The Horror


I was always amused by this in Neil's BBC office.

Now to The Horror. We were all shaken as we watched the images from New Orleans last night and, I was overwhelmed by the immense destruction and suffering so close to home. (I was a little embarrassed,too, by my whining about the electric after seeing what those poor souls are going through.)

Last night I emailed all managers to prepare fund-raising ideas and this morning put an ad in The Wire announcing the first: Miss Amy Rivers' Labor Day Drag Relief performance. I also contacted The Rainbow Fund, an organization that uses it's vast resources to organize benefits from the gay community to those in need. From there it will be simple; gays love donating to a good cause while they can drink and have fun. And Mrs. Astor is particularly good at squeezing money out of people. She's mastered the acquired art of Southern Charm with her born talent as a shrewd Yankee and mixed it with a Rhode Island indifference to resorting to threats. You have to do what you have to do.

9 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's wonderful sweetie. Please let me know if you can use my services [mafia connections] to assist in your acquisition of any more funds. Seriously though, my prayers go out to those who have lost so much.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Thanks, Bees; my threats are always social in nature. Down here NOT getting an invitation hurts a lot more than two broken legs.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger newplanet said...

Well done, Mrs. A. Squeeze me anywhere and anyhow you like. I'll pay up, honest!

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

You're not getting away that easily, Graham. Now, where did I put the rubber hose? This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you.....

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

alexis my little love lump, I don't give a hooey what is written about you on the ladies room walls, you are good people.

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005?/

Humane Society is collecting for all the lost/missplaced/sick pets. Spread the word love.

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

/disaster_relief_fund_2005?/

the rest of the address...

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Mikevil, I am the one who wrote those things on the bathroom walls. It's always best to be your own publicist.

Bees, thanks; I know of several other orgs that work for our dear pets and we will be throwing a benefit for one of them, too. South Beach is VERY pet-friendly.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luckily, my sister and her husband were up here rather than in NOLA when it made landfall.

They don't think their house even exists anymore, but worse for them is wondering about the fate of their 3 dogs who were placed in a kennel before they drove up to Indiana.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home