"the" Mrs. Astor

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Moments in History

Aside from all the craziness, I like to bring out the best in the boys I meet. From the very first entanglement with Ricky Boscarino, I have been fascinated by historical drag. My going to Twist's turnabout party as a sufferagette was a good example of the way I like to play with it. (I am still deciding which photo to post of that embarrassing night, but I will because it is so much fun to laugh at yourself before you do so of others.) In previous years I went as Magda Goebbles, Elizabeth Bathory, and Dorothy Hamill.

A while back I asked a club buddy, Todd, if he would let me "play" with him in my little studio. I told him I wanted to put him in a wig and dress and make him into Louise Brooks. He wasn't too sure who she was until I lent him a biography on the great, troubled actress. He became quite interested after he read that book. We played with poses all afternoon, including the famous image of Louise playing with that enourmous strand of pearls in her fingers, but, in the end, this turned out to be my favorite and one that Todd kept on his office desk. I, too, have a framed copy on the wall of my bedroom; she fits in nicely with all the other girls I've had the pleasure to meet along the way.

2 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

Uncle Alexis,

Dorothy Hamill? Dorothy Hamill? REALLY? Did you have the official "Dorothy Hamill" bobbed hairdo and everything? Were you wearing an ice-skating outfit? Oh what I would give to see that photo!!! :)

Love Always,
Jesse :)

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

That's the good thing about being in control Jesse; there are some things which should never be seen, or I'd have to kill you.:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home