"the" Mrs. Astor

Monday, August 22, 2005

Scottie

I have a friend, Scott Simpson, who has had to deal with a thing in his life. Four years ago he developed lymphoma and it tore at my life; he was someone I saw every day and liked so much. He went through Hell and, at one point, I offered him one of my unused bedrooms to stay in because I was so afraid for his safety and sanity. Scottie, a New Englander, politely declined and said he would fight it. And, God almighty, he did; someone who was pale as death and had lost all of hair bounced back with vigor. Now he is one of my bartenders.

Scottie had to go back to New England for a family wedding; he accompanied his mother. I was enthralled about the details of this WASPY wedding in Bridgeport, CT, especially when he told me they imported palm trees to line the wedding walk (I mean, WHAT do you do with them afterwards?) Scottie's mom was recently divorced. Late into the night, one friend approached the mother and whispered into her ear. Scottie's mother said "You lose. They think you are my new husband." Scottie replied, "No, I win. They think I'm straight." Later another guest came up to the mother and whispered something. Scottie's mother said, "that couple asked if you were a rent boy." Scottie replied, " I win twice. Now they think I'm worth being paid for."
Love you, Scottie!!!!!

4 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Jesse said...

That is such a wonderful story! Scottie sounds like an incredibly strong and inspirational person. I'm sorry that I have not had the pleasure to meet him, hopefully soon? :) He sounds like yet another great New Englander. New England is a great place - I just helped accompany my friend up this past Friday to help her move some things to an apartment (she officially moves this Sunday). Walking around Harvard Square and the rest of Cambridge all day was quite the treat. Scottie rocks, and so does New England! :)

-Jesse

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Officer Brian said...

Mrs. Astor-
If only the world could be full of more generous and caring people like you! If I remember correctly, Scott is Matt's boyfriend? What great feeling it must be to defeat an illness like that. I know having support and love goes a long way with healing. Someone may have earned their wings :)

Better file down those horns...hehe

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Quite right, Brian; Scottie is Matt's boyfriend! You win the washer and dryer. Scottie was alone them and so scary: you know, when someone is going through chemo and they smell of it. But bald as he was he still made it out with me every day for happy hour. I thought I was going to lose him, but he is a New Englander and we are tough (but loveable).

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Ed Grow said...

Never will I cease to be amazed by the characters you meet Mrs. I *especially* enjoyed the pictures of you in costume, you sassy-suffragette-female-impersonator, you! Love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home