"the" Mrs. Astor

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Amends


Wow, I have to apologize to all of you--my dear, dear friends--for what I put you through in the that thirty days. I was brought up in such a strict, Protestant, New England household that to show emotion was a sign of extreme weakness. You never cried, you never complained. Order was the name of the game.

But two hurricanes, being made titular Queen of The Palace, and two sad love stories made me collapse into what can only be described of as "human". God, I never thought I would come to that! I mean, to have feelings and tears. Sure, it was easy for me to cry at the image of a dog tied to an overpass in New Orleans, but I never thought a person could do it to me, too. Alas. No matter who designed your gown, it can be stained by tears.

The Queen had a long--if tipsy--talk with me today, making more sense than I ever wanted. She admonished me for not thinking of Alexis "ever"; she said I had only ever thought of what everyone else wanted. She was getting more and more tipsy as she raged about what I had done for The Palace and what I had not done for myself. Alcohol brings out many aspects of the human.
Crown Prince Boris drove her home as there was word of several peasant uprisings in the countryside.

Resolution: Wake up tomorrow the Alexis of September 4th (the day befor Katrina). I will take a little extra time to make sure my Day Gown is nicely starched and welcoming in manner. I might wear a sassy straw hat, too. I might become myself again.

2 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

bless ya!

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Officer Brian said...

BRAVO!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home