"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Twins in the Mailbox


I was skipping up the the driveway yesterday and spotted a fat, bulging...envelope by the mailbox and, when I saw the return address of a major American magazine, I knew it was another book from Lahoma van Zandt. She has always sent me the most interesting and appropriate pieces for me. "Sex with Kings," a history of courtesans and their politcs; "The Handbook to Hedonism", by Fokker; "The Affair of the Poisons: Murder, Invanticide and Satanism at the Court of Louis XIV" by Anne Sommerset, and now "One of Us", by Alice Dreger.

Lahoma will never forget the night I had conjoined twins, Lori and Dori (now Reba) Schappell over to a dinner party at my apartment. It was a night of such intensity that, although armed and ready with three cameras, I could only break out of my stupor to take seven photos. Several of these I posted on my story of The Twins on March 4, 2005.

It's comforting when you receive a gift book and you know the giver thought in their mind, "THAT's got his name all over it." Thanks, LVZ.

2 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

and guess who is sending interesting books to my post now?

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you're not kidding. What interesting subjects. Do let us know how they are? I'm always open for recommendations. XO!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home