"the" Mrs. Astor

Friday, February 17, 2006

Thomas Barker



It's not difficult to pinpoint the moment Thomas Barker came into the fold. I had had the joy of being seated opposite him at Jenny Yip's glorious Chinese New Year dinner party and reveled in his stories. A well-known publicist and writer of a rather racy nightlife column, Thomas was a bubbling fountain of gossip that night, not the least of the stories remembered being the one of him and a boy from Brooklyn in the back seat of a Chrysler. A week later I ran into him at a party and he was entertaining us about doing it in the back seat of his father's car. And last week he was going on about the back seat of a Ford Explorer when I just couldn't help it and said, "Well, aren't you just the poster child for Detroit." That's when we bonded.

It's always nice to have a well-connected hussy around; they make it their business to know everyone, to know what everyone is doing and to whom. Like most hussies, Thomas is a bit of a drunk, more than a bit of a flirt, and therefore the life of the party. I remember quite vividly at back seat story number one, an old Jewish real estate baron remarking how much he loved Barker's weekly column; it made me smile.

3 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

hahaha!
...
baby...
...
he´s blond...
...
and I just bought a Renault Megane...
...
oh...
...
just a thought...
...

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, he is fine! I think I am drooling a tad bit.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is all lies ... I never hook up in a american cars ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home