"the" Mrs. Astor

Saturday, May 06, 2006


Lady Bunny with Alexis Arquette when Alexis was just a cute boy. This was in some seedy dive on the lower east side; King Tut's Wa Wa Hut, I think.
I got an email from The "Lady" Bunny this morning asking me to post this address to MoveOn.org in the continuing effort to keep the dickheads in congress from restricting the internet. Can't these assholes do something about the depletion of the treasury or the endless war instead of finding ways to limit freedoms of information and speech?

In addition I received this clip Lahoma van Zandt made of the outlaw parties we used to run to. The phone would ring and a voice would say, "The middle of The Williamsburg Bridge in a half hour." or "McDonald's in Time Square at midnight" and we'd gather up what ever it was that made us tick and show up for a riotous good time. Eventually the police would show up, ponder the situation, and politely start moving everyone out. They and the poor passersby would not know what to make of the gathering of all these freaks; no great crime was being committed, at least on the surface. One of the funniest was the one on the steps of the grand, main post office in back of Madison Square Garden on April 15, the last night for tax mailing. That was always a favorite night for me and I often visited on the night of April 15 to watch people anxiously filling out their taxes at 11pm in order to get them postmarked. Jeese, hadn't they ever heard of and extension (or a tax accountant like the fabulous Reggie Waldron I had). Holding an outlaw party there pushed it over the top; I have a video of that somewhere. I can't believe a lady of my social standing absolutely LOVED those freaks. Still do.

5 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

I was totally going to post something along the lines of "here here!" in regards to the Political aspect of this post, but instead I just can't keep help thinking...

"My, How Alexis Arquette has changed!"

:)

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

I looked and looked but I didn't find you. Where are you, Alexis, in this video.

And has the enchanting Lahoma set up a blog since we met and talked about this?

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Jesse, times and sexes change...Ha

Countess, I think I was in the bathroom interviewing the Shah of Iran.

Bees, "That's no lady, that's James St. James." He wrote, "Blood Feast", the definitive history of that time, a sort of Eidth Wharton of the club kids.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

OH, Countess, we MUST get Lahoma to write about her long, long life in the entertainment world!

Bees, Winter, 1990.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Bees - There is a great documentary DVD about Michael Alig called "Party Monster, The Shockumentary". You can see Lahoma talking about the party scene as well as others who were there; and Michael himself, of course. (The movie, Party Monster, with Macaulay Culkin was based on this.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home