"the" Mrs. Astor

Thursday, April 27, 2006

In Bed at The Nash

Last night the attention shifted to The Nash, another small, boutique hotel, as a week of parties and viewings for the 8th Miami Gay & Lesbian Film Festival began. The Palace is hosting Friday’s party for Francois Ozon’s film, Time to Leave (Le Temps Qui Reste). “Bed Art” was the title for last night's event and was ever-so-suited for a hotel.




Each room of the Nash’s second floor was turned into Bed Art with different mediums being used, primarily projected images and performance pieces. They were numerous and rather contrived, but not without entertainment value. Who am I to judge art? I have enough problems judging the time to the next Happy Hour, but here are a few examples.

In one of the first rooms a boy was “asleep”. We had entered his bedroom and—when he “awoke”—his anxiety…

…as he launched into a tirade about bad dreams.


As I was gazing at this car wreck of art, a local news team shoved a microphone under my nose and asked, “Would you get into that bed?” “Not at all,” I replied warily eyeing the camera. “Why not?” “Too busy.”

No art exhibition, or any exhibition for that matter, would be complete without the 14-Inch Dick. I had to bring up a point of order, however, as I did not actually see a BED associated with this piece and had a folding cot brought immediately.

And just who was the Vestal Virgin protecting Mr. 14? That's right, Miss Tiff.



The artist in another room was “taking a break”, but I thought the blow torch and glasses a bit interesting. While walking out I saw the artist returning. I kept walking.

Carl and I regrouped on a terrace with Troy and Jeff, two Palace boys who radiate their Mid-West background. We talked about the “room upstairs” where you stripped, had a Polaroid taken in a very artistic way, and then mounted it up for all to see. Everyone was “You do it, and I will” or “Do it. I dare you”, but….


…only publicist and famed drunk, Thomas Barker, actually did. (He has balls.)

3 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Yes! Thomas Barker, he so would go for the picture. I had so much fun with him when I was in SoBe. He is a doll!

You are making me want to make a trip back but that can't happen until the fall....the heat, you know.

So much fun in SoBe all the time. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Black and Tan Mark said...

Alexis,
Re: the artist with the sunglasses and a blowtorch - I'll give him a benefit of the doubt and wager that he likes to make his own crème brûlée in bed.
;-)
B&T

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well everyone got to see my balls ... that's for sure! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home