"the" Mrs. Astor

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Princess Orloff

Sometimes I just drift off. Last night the endless thunderstorms kept me up and I decided to read a little of the history of Malta, a great crossroad in history.

Now I have to stop and say that after Boldini and Sargent, Valentin Serov is my favorite portrait painter. He, too, was positioned in that amazing transition of history and captured the end of an era with incredible insight.

So many of his portraits fascinate me, including my favorite of Felix Yusupov, but one was of Princess Olga Orloff. Her pose intrigues me since a much less scandalous one of Madame X nearly destroyed Sargent in Paris; but such was the Russian sensuality, a strange mix of Western and Asian feeling. Decadence permeates the scene: the shoulders, a rich fur, the oversized parlor, an outrageous hat, and even the crossed leg. Painted three years before the war that swept her world away, I always wondered what happened to her.

So, while reading about the history of Malta, I came across a section, "Russian Refugees" and immediately opened it. Malta was a British colony and had a fine sense of government and record keeping. In that list of hundreds of Russians rescued by The British government in the spring of 1919 aboard warships was Olga Oroff, traveling on the same battleship, The Marlborough, that The Dowager Empress, Marie, was on.

And that brought me to one of the most striking quotes I ever remember of that period. In April of 1919, Queen Alexandra of England approached her son King George about rescuing her sister, Marie, and the other Romanovs trapped in the Crimean. The king was hesitant because The Romanovs has been so reactionary and his new prime minister wanted nothing to do with them, much less save their lives. The tsar and his family had already been murdered the summer before, and Alexandra knew what was in store; she threw a fit in front of her son, demanding he exercise his royal power and send in that battleship. "Just WHAT do you think, 'H.M.S.' stands for?" she shouted. Hundreds ended up in Malta and safety as a result because it was His Majesty's Ship.

6 Comments:

At 1:37 AM, Blogger Tom said...

Here's the important question: Do you have the recipe for Veal Prince Orloff?

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

I own an agate cameo ring that originally belonged to a Prince Orloff, it's fun, a naked Father Time (DEATH) -- not sure which Prince, those Orloffs were prolific.

I had not heard the Malta story, although Paris in the 70s was full of White Russians with a past. I do remember mentions of Malta from the older generation -- obviously, the event to which they were referring. Funny the way that things come to closure. Gotta love Alexandra -- takes guts to put a King across your lap and paddle away...

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Mason, yes on all counts. I would also "...take Romanovs for a thousand, Art."

No, but I'd die to.

Pimpernel, "Mother's always right."

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Maven said...

Wasn't Felx Yussupov the cousin of Tsar Nicholas who sold out the Russian Royal family to the bolsheviks?

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Nugget, re-read your history. Yusupov was't even related to Nicholas, even though he was three times as wealthy. He married his niece, cementing the usual, crucial foundation between wealth and power without ever having to "Put Out". I wish I could say the same.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

Mrs. A. you want to marry your neice. Now that is incest and, as far as I know, a real no-no. Besides, it is just so ICKKKKKKKKKK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home