"the" Mrs. Astor

Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Countess, Rustic?


The Countess cracks me up, too. We have been discussing the location of a birthday celebration during Halloween weekend, and she asked me to check out the space of a nearby hotel which advertised a "garden" available. I went by today and thought it interesting because it is one of those small, Deco hotels and obviously it was no le Tuleries; but I can be forgiving sometimes and was amused by it's sort of Charles Addams feeling. (With the brains, money, and panache of this group, The Sudan could be turned into The Hanging Gardens of Babylon.) I felt an odd charm to it and immediately emailed The Countess who was holed up at Castle Bedelia in Trannsylchusetts, putting the finishing touches on her costume.

I reported that the space was "rough around the edges" and then made the mistake to write that it had a certain "rustic" charm (I should have said Addams Family charm, but I was too busy whipping the houseboy for smudging my malachite pencil box to be clever).

"Rustic??? I don't do rustic!!!!" was her immediate reply. I KNOW she doesn't do "Rustic", do I? She's a countess and the closest she gets to rustic is the same as my experience: the wafting fumes of a nearby peasant village being burnt to the ground.


And then I assured her that even if she DID want to pull some Marie Antionette farm village fantasy, I could not easily come up with a cow. An alligator, certainly, a fat racoon, perhaps, but I'd have to truck a cow down from some redneck county in central Florida and, it isn't pretty there (not that I know from experience, but I did fly over it on the way to Disney World, the ONLY time I've every been further north than Palm Beach in this state). I won't be handing you some cow and a pail, Countess; you can be assured of that. (And by the way, one of the last times I saw you, you were stomping grass into the ground and trying to avoid the pony poo-poo, so don't get uppity with me.)

3 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Now Mrs. Astor, don't get your panties in a knot.....It was the polo ponies poo poo and you are still upset because I took the team captain away from you!

Put duBarry on the garden decor and she will have silken draperies hanging and peacock fans fanning. As long as there are pretty slave boys feeding me grapes, I will be happy.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

Mrs. A., would you really know a cow from a bull?

Also, I loved the Spanish moss, that alone sold the place. However, as Scottie and I are taking over the catering, leave it to us. We know how to turn contentious Countesses into putty in our hands... And, it there are any slave boys, they will be feeding ME peeled grapes(!) (ooh, fab idea -- thanks!)

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

You DID steal Captain Keeting from me; bitterness is a hard thing to deal with.

TP; I see a run on grapes. I just sand a fortune into grape futures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home