"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, December 31, 2006


Famed Ocean Drive has been sealed off to traffic for the weekend again, something I have always felt should be permanent. Then maybe we wouldn't see the bumper-to-bumper nightmare every day with the Hummer competing with the Bentley and both being out-manouvered by the beat up Monte Carlo from Hialeah with the tail pipe dragging and sparking.

Warm breezes blew in from The Bahamas and Sea Breezes flew over the bar from early on. A great deal has been made over a little comment I made in an exchange with Thomas Barker the other evening. I was maintaining the high road by saying, "Decent people don't drink before 1 PM." and Barker had the nerve to say, "Then, what do you call that champagne you had?" I shot back an authoritative, "Champagne is NOT alcohol; it is a breakfast beverage when served with orange juice." (which, given my condition at the time, seemed to hold little weight and has been thrown in my face ever since.)

Whatever. Big change is in the wind, and despite what Jesse says, I am, NOT wearing sequins tonight. Chiffon is definitely the choice with a balmy wind like this; turquoise with matching shoes.

4 Comments:

At 3:18 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

Someone or other is always seeking control by making up ridiculous rules! Champagne is like coffee or tea and can be consumed at any hour. The same is true of the breakfast juice glass of vodka (as a wake-me-upper) -- but that is only notable if you are arising before 1:00 p.m., which I doubt many of those fashion fascists do...

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Always the voice of reason, Pimpernel; without people like you, the world would be even more dangerous.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Glitzy said...

Happy New Year!

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Happy New Year, my dear Glitzy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home