"the" Mrs. Astor

Friday, July 06, 2007

An auction of the jewels belonging to the last queen of Italy took place a few weeks ago by her daughter, Princess Marie Gabriella, in order to pay tax bills.

Top lot in the auction is a diamond tiara made by Faberge in 1895, which is valued at between £390,000 and £600,000, but is expected to fetch up to three times that amount. It contains rare tear-drop diamonds given by Tsar Alexander to the Empress Josephine.


The queen only ruled for 46 days before being deposed by the monarchy-tired Italians. Princess Marie recently garnered much attention for dis-inheriting her brother, the Crown Prince of the House of Savoy, Vittorio, after his scandal involving influence peddling with the Head of the House of Bulgaria, Simeon. These included seedy charges of corruption and even prostitution.

Still, as Mrs. Styuvesant-Fish can attest, it is not easy to part with items that defined one's family. I mean, what would she do if she had to auction off not only the jewels and furs, but the margarita glass collection. No doubt some snarky New York bitch will be seen at an "entertainment" function in this necklace soon. When asked, she will just say, "Oh, it's a little something that's been in the family". (for one week).
Postcript: The Empress Josephine Tiara, made by Fabergé in 1895, fetched $ 2.071.388. The buyer preferred to remain anonomous. The total sale of the collection sold for near 3.5 million.

7 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Hello, you have a wonderful blog, but I can't find your email address, can you please contact me at linkexchange@edenfantasys.com? I have something to discuss with you
Regards, Chris
(Please can you delete this comment after your decision?)

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Done; I always thought it was there. Silly me.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Oh that Chris is making his way around the blogdom. I prefer to buy my jewels on the auction block.

Hmmmmm...that tiara sounds like it is just my style but Brian just bought me a new one so I will have to pass.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Do you really expect me to believe that you would turn down a tiara with a gem once own The Empress Eugenie, herself?

Did you over-medicate yourself today?

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Well, the tiara that Brian bought does have a lot of rhinestones and pink jewels and it LIGHTS UP!!! So you can see how much I love it...

*hugs Brian and Ditmar too because Ditmar was there*

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Call me a clinger to classsic, but I do not think a tiara should "light up"; I am referring this to The Council of Coutesses for review.

Why, the next thing you know you'll be wearing pearls that light up and look like Times Square!

 
At 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One hopes that if the pearls look like Times Square, they'll look like the old Times Square and have little hookers as spacers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home