"the" Mrs. Astor

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Artist Jaume Plensa's crouching man--our gazebo--came down today. We had all hopef it would become permanent; alas. For one week it attracted attention and invited glee. And, of course, it wasn't made of wood, but of cast steel clamped together. Perhaps I should have actually touched it that first night, but I've never been a fan of reality anyway. A gazebo is wooden.
Jeremy and Drew joined me for one, last "ride" on the gazebo.


We all tried to figure out some hidden message, get one of our computer nerds to load in every letter, and make something out of it. In the end, our glasses became empty and more pressing needs had to be attended to. It will always be an astounding memory.

As we left, Drew point out that if you stood at the opening and looked up it was really Dolly Parton; it was hard to argue that point and made no point to do so



1 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Dolly Parton? I think I was the model for the gazebo!!

Seriously, I love that gazebo. I am so sorry it won't be there when I return. Do you know where it will be exhibited next?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home