"the" Mrs. Astor

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Somehow, Court tried to form itself again after the carnage of the five-day weekend of White Party. Slowly, we gathered, pulling up our gloves, arranging pearls, and tucking back hair only to talk filth about everyone who didn't have the stamina to show up. All day, I ran into members of Society who asked what was going on only to say, "Nothing; everyone is too, too devastated by the weekend." I lied. The highest members of Court showed up, although early; there was some confusion in the air when one of them said, "OH, there is Mrs. Studebaker-Fish coming in." I forgave the indiscretion, but Mamie was the model of the society matron who makes no excuses because, as the original Mrs. Stuyvesant-Fish once chided the press when she gave her dog a $10,000 collar at a Newport dog party, "I don't care what the press thinks, because I don't have to."


One of the highest members of Court actually stated, "You know, Mrs. Astor, sometimes when it comes to wrinkles, it is good to be plump." All I could think of is the wonderful cartoon book I have entitled, Little Miss Plump.

Indeed.

2 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger Ed Grow said...

Little Miss Plump looks remarkably like Hilary Clinton circa 1988.

Just sayin'.
(Alexis, you big gurl, why don't I have your email address?)

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading the Mr. Men books when I was a child. Thanks for the mince down memory lane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home