"the" Mrs. Astor

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Victory, Victory, Victory!

Matti Bower, the underdog with no money or organization compared to her slick, bank president opponent Simon Cruz, dealt a stunning blow with a ten-point win for mayor. Cruz had the Jewish lobby, the Cuban lobby, the developers and bankers all firmly behind him, but I kept saying, "How many votes can they deliver?" Money in a rich city like Miami Beach only goes so far. What did he have to offer? In the end, not much.
Once again, instead of having a party on super-rich Star Island like her out-of-touch opponent, Simon Cruz, our Matti Herrera Bower partied at Cafe Avanti, a simple, popular place on 41st Street. To say the least, the crowd was dumbfounded by the huge 10 point lead Matti took, but--then--what did I say months ago at out first lunch with her advisor, Mike Burke? "Matti", I said. "Get the gay and woman vote and you have it, no matter how much money the other side has." Then we started bringing the engaging grandmother out to every gay bar and function that happened; every man and woman we introduced her to was enticed and our final rally at The Palace Saturday astounded even me when she walked up the steps and I heard a thunderous roar and applause. To me, that was all I needed to know that we had succeeded. Viva Matti!!!!!
And, of course, no greater victory was there for me than having my baby back by my side. He made me feel not only safe again, but strong with his ever-present support; it's great to love someone and be loved back with such intensity.

6 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Matti!

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Congratulations to Matti!

And also to you and Leopoldo for all the campaigning and hard work that you did on her behalf.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Thanks to everyone, but especially the gay community. There wasn't one member who did not come up to me and tell me they either voted for Matti or--if they lived out of town--asked two friends to do so.

Simon never courted the gay vote.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger LARMOT said...

Mr Cruz courted the people with money, but forgot to court the people with the power to vote... What a great way to start off the holidays. Thank you for all your hard work!

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Jesse said...

Congradulations Matti!!! :)

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG congrats a million times over! This is truly something to be thankful for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home