"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, June 21, 2009

The summer doldrums are here; its not as if nothing is going on, it just doesn't go on at the pace we expect it to. City Hall is totally obsessed with the Police Department's shooting of the unarmed tourist last weekend; there is nothing more feared in a resort town. Worse yet, as I related this week, there is great talk about why the police stopped him in front of the two businesses open and busy at 4.30 Am; thus, the whole shooting is caught on video by Twist and has been now played by the local stations. No matter what the police try to do, they can't seem to bury this one like all the others. On top of this, the trigger-happy policeman who shot the tourist was reportedly put on "paid, administrative leave" and, yet, he managed to shoot another person to death on Friday in a botched car-jacking on the McCarther Causeway. That's some "administrative" leave. One has to wonder if they locked him in a closet how many he could still shoot.



I spent a lovely, quiet afternoon at La Casa, splashing around in the pool and then watching The Met's presentation of Madama Butterfly produced by the late Anthony Minghella; the minimalist sets coupled with puppets and origami was such a joy. Maybe I'm an old softy, but I can't stop crying during one of the greatest soap operas of all time. "I couldn't bo back to entertaining people with my singing...He'll come; you'll see."
As I wrote, it was not a boring week; we celebrated the birthday of Steven Stewart, the architect of Twist's new look and the person who keeps its physical plant operating.

A word to the wise: Don't leave latex gloves in the hands of two doctors on a drunken Thursday afternoon.
All eyes are now on the birthday party I will be hosting with Henrietta next Friday at Twist (starting at 7 PM) in the bungalow bar in honor of Leopoldo's birthday. There will be lots to eat, great gossip to be traded, and go-go boys.

During his birthday party, Steven announced, " Thank you, everyone. A real man doesn't lie about his age and I'm 45

I totally agree with that. Leopoldo will be 44 on Friday and I am 34..

6 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

You might recall my report of the disastrous night I went to the Met to see Madama Butterfly:

http://countessofbedelia.blogspot.com/2006/11/night-at-opera-or-marx-brothers-in.html

I'm sure that performance wasn't the one they filmed....lol!!

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Contessa du Barry said...

35 PLUS 30 maybe...Lies lies lies

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Astor: I can't believe that the Countess has pegged you at 65! Is this the start of yet another war of northern aggression?

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

All I can say is that those elderly New England bitches have nothing to do all winter but to chew off of their own fat and think of how to snipe at of those, old friends who now sun themselves while they figure out how to shovel themselves out of their own nonsense.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Contessa du Barry said...

The Poor Countess Bedelia had not said one word on the matter. But you have viciously attacked her. Maybe you should lick that summer sweat off your brow with that long evil tongue of yours....

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

von Cartier, just what are you talking about? When did I insult Bedelia? I'm sure you must be off you mental fit medicine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home