"the" Mrs. Astor

Monday, February 08, 2010

The town awoke with a hangover the size of Montana today. Everyone kept talking about how drunk everyone else became yesterday.
People were dancing in the streets singing, "When The Saints Come Marching In", drag queens did cartwheels, and cute boys did what they do best. But the reason I came out was the call from Mamie. "Mrs. Astor, you MUST come to Ocean Drive; there are two drag queens you MUST meet!" No protests would be tolerated, so I hopped in my Harrier jet and flew out. "Wild" would be an understatement of the highest order; "Reckless" would be a better term, but nothing can really sum it up except it is Super Bowl madness.
Mitzy and Missy made our day. They had driven down from Palm Beach for the festivities and when I took this photo I mentioned that Mrs. Stuyvesant-Fish had coaxed me out of bed and that it was worth the trip. Mamie noted the droll on my lips.

Within a short time, we became fast friends and even mutually knew some drag queens back in Provincetown.


I am continually amazed at how much things have changed in the gay world and the best example was this couple from New Orleans, a grandmother having a drink with her gay grandson. We thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent with "Red" and her adorable, little boy.



And, just as Mamie and I rolled out, we met another set; my, my how times have changed.

3 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger Contessa du Barry said...

It was so nice to spend time with you guys. Ken AKA The Vermont Baroness fell in love with South Beach an then Key West and also Palm Beach He had a great time... Hope to see you soon...

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Rick Bettencourt said...

Great game...congrats to the Saints!

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger Ed Grow said...

Love the pictures, you always have such a nice time, Margot.

E

 

Post a Comment

<< Home