"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Well, the results of several doctor visits are in. As everyone knows, I used to be the single, greatest consumer of Stoli Blueberry on the beach. Five months ago I decided to stop, cold turkey, and went on to sipping wine or beer during social events. Both doctors, separately, told me my body went into a type of shock, looking for something it was used to. Insomnia developed, getting to the point where I slept only an hour or two hours, a night, I had no appetite, my sense of balance was altered, and, suddenly, when I did have a cocktail, the body seemed to think that I had had ten. They told me I should have consulted a doctor when I quit, and they put me on medication that has reversed all of those conditions (along with the responsibility to refrain from any drinking except for an occasional red wine or beer). Who knew?
We attended a wild party that Thomas Barker threw last night at Twist. Grey Goose flowed from dozens of bottles with one guest holding a bottle and pouring it's contents down the throat of another. Boys and girls danced on the tables and couches of the VIP area while I sipped Perrier. Sitting next to Barker, I asked, "What's the occasion?" "Who knows?", he replied. And, we squealed with laughter. We still had fun; but what a wonder it is to be sober amongst freaks.

2 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Jeremy, I drank until the cows came home for thirty years. The only problem I ever had was waking up to someone I didn't know. It just seemed like it was time to stop. I just never realized that I needed the medication to reduce the reaction. All seems to be going well. Season has begun and I've been attending events without the urge to go back. All should work out well as I'm a determined person.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Tom said...

I think they call that withdrawl. Too bad you couldn't have been on Celebrity Rehab. Maybe you could have introduced me to that dreamy Dr. Drew. Glad you are feeling better, and good luck with the Perrier, although I prefer pedestrian club soda with a splash of cranberry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home