"the" Mrs. Astor

Friday, October 07, 2005

Day 1: Taken By the Cleaners

I awoke extra early on Becoming Myself again and prepared several suitable outfits for the day (remember the heat and rain makes this a necessity). I placed them out on the bed in their probable order of need and decided to get some water from the fridge.

I have guests coming tonight (the start of the deluge that lasts until Easter) and had hired my two "enemies of dirt" Victoria and Andrea to clean the house. These are the type of girls who carry every piece of furniture out of a room, scrub it, and return everything to it's place. Then I hired the "ex from hell" to do a little touch up painting. This whole gang needed the money and they can be trusted; trusted within reason I learned.

I always leave a a case or two of beer for the cleaners, but this particular week I had stocked the fridge with expensive champagne, brutally priced Venetian chardonnays, and more, much more. When I opened the door all but a few bottles of cheap wine for cooking were gone. I looked under serveral cabinets thinking of the way the move item to clean, but no.

I donned a smart morning dress with a hat tilted slightly on the left to shield the sun and walked over the the place of employment of my "ex".
"Did you like the painting?, he asked. "Oh, yes. It dried faster than
I would have imagined",I replied, "But, tell what happened to all the wine and champagne?" There was a second there, a second to think of an answer. "But you told us we could have anything." Tears were starting to well and we were not going there. "Really, Ramon, you know what is a present for guests, don't you." "Yes", he said, "I replace it today." "No dear", I said, "They were all gifts from salesmen; I'll make some calls today, but really." "I'm sorry, please...."

And then I felt IT: Mrs. Astor. As I left the restaurant with Ramon following, I said, "You did nothing wrong; it was just an error in judgment. And on top of all, it's just liquor, which simply can be replaced by the picking up of a telephone." Then I walked over to Ocean Drive turned North and engaged a haughtily gait that I have not enjoyed in months.

3 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

oh... if u keep like this ...in a few days you will turn into EVITA and I donĀ“t think we, the ones who really LOVE you, would like that.

givin alcohol to the poor?

mhhhhhh.... well, at least you are not callim him "MI DESCAMISADO"!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Honey "the poor" TOOK the alcohol and used it to fuel their eager desire to clean and paint. I don't blame them in the least; it showed balls and, as I said, it's something that is bought or sold, not a drain on emotion in the least. Next time, I'll be a little more careful. I want the peasants to be happy, not revolting.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Officer Brian said...

Muhahahaha...oh Mrs. Astor. You'll have to store the good stuff in the secret room behind the books in the library...oops. Just leave a few bottles of "Veeve Clickit" in the fridge for the peasants to feel extraordinary as they carry out their duties. (I can just see him running down 11th after you) muhahahahaha....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home