"the" Mrs. Astor

Thursday, October 13, 2005

I'm RUINED!


Yes, I am getting into my finest senatorial cloak, climbing into a hot bath, and opening up my veins. Because of a bad stock tip? No, all my money is invested in Halliburton and Victoria's Secret; I'm set for life.

No, this afternoon the legendary Lahoma van Zandt announced to ALL New York City that she had watched a video of me the previous evening "performing" in drag at a club Way Back When. No, No, No; I remember passing my video camera to someone, and I still have the original, but I NEVER thought anyone else got a copy, let alone the legendary Lahoma van Zandt. Good Lord, that's who I handed the camera to.

Those were giddy nights. My then boyfriend and I teamed up with our adopted daughter, Planeta Starr, to treat our favorite DJ, Perfidia with a performance. The audience was amazing: Tina Paul, Michael Musto, Michael Alig, Joey Arias, The It Twins, and on and on. We were the back-up singers to Planeta's version of "Be My Baby" by Ronnie and The Ronettes. I bought those bowed wigs at Pat Field's.

A little later--and this is unfortunately on tape, too--the crowd demanded an encore and we handed perfidia a CD of "These Boots Were Made For Walking" in Spanish, but she fooled us and played that funky song from the sixties, "People Are Finally Gettin' Together". Planeta was lost; our ecstacy was just kicking in and all we did was stare at each other and laugh. Everyone laughed!

Now with my senate career doomed (DOOMED I say), it is time for me to end it all.

Well, actually I can't right yet because I promised Edison I would go to his party tonight. But, tommorrow it's over! I can not live with the shame.

I did look rather fetching, though.

8 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

When I was in NYC last week, I was bragging about you and saying how you have the best stories about 'the good old days'. Do you suppose that my idle chatter kicked off this little taped memoir? But you do look fetching in your little wig. Such a beauty!!

 
At 2:43 AM, Blogger Tom said...

I love you...

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

The harsh thing about it is that her final sentence in her widely-read Op-Ed column was, "At least I was a world-class act."

So in addition to the shame of having to admit that I stooped from my position in Society to "perform", she infers that is was BAD.

 
At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so love you. sigh.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

No,No,No..... I'd jump off the roof of The Palace, but it's only three stories and I'd probably bounce back to someone's 2nd story balconey. Right in the middle of the drag show.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Showtune said...

bouncing back up during the drag show . . . now THERE'S a site I'd pay to see!!!

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got dissed by Michael Musto on Wednesday night. I should have dropped your name.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Brian I DO NOT LIKE the term, "raw entertainment" as applied to me. It may have been momentary madness, but--please--not "raw entertainment". I have legions of "friends" depending upon me; to have my social magnitude thrust through with a video dagger would harm so many for so few.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home