"the" Mrs. Astor

Monday, October 17, 2005

Satyr Mondays


It was one of those Mondays; it's not like I ask for things like this to happen, but I never complain. First of all, Mondays is a very intense day and there is much sorting out of the weekend, the drama, the personal confrontations, and it is not usually a happy day. But, I managed through and ended up greeting many, many guests who don't usually show their lovely faces on Monday.

Then, about 2PM a PACK, I can only describe them as a pack of lesbians took over the front of the outside bar. They were so much fun: hooting and hollerin',being so out there. There was one point when the music became so intense that they decided to take off their tops and prance around. Polite Society would have shuddered, but I applauded.

There was a point when--although I would denounce the accusation that I started it--the entire bar started singing:
"I wish I were in the land of cotton,
Old days there are not forgotten,
Look away,
Look away,
Look away, Dixie Land.
I wish I were in Dixie, hooray, hooray
In Dixie land were I was born...."

I might have then started to fear about the breakdown of order, when who arrives? Jerry, everyone's favorite New Jersey cop, who promised to maintain order for ten days. (By then, Captain Jeremy will be back and in control.)

Madness seemed to be driving the late afternoon as everyone spoke of the ferocious full moon that had risen the night before over The Atlantic and what it would mean for Them. At 4pm--with my official duties now over although never ending--I enacted something I had been dwelling on for three days.

I owned a nineteen century bronze mirror topped by a Satyr's head and framed by various "activities"; it had three candle holders at the bottom. I loved that piece, but it had been sitting my closet for four years and I had decided to donate it to The Erotic Museum. I brought it into The Palace today to the "ooo's and ahhhh's" of everyone, and just before I left for The Museum, one patron shrieked: "Oh, my God; did you get an appraisal on that?" I was, like, "No, that is not the point. He needs to be in The Satyr Room with his brothers; I really don't care what it is worth."

I met up with Mr. Gary (Charles G. Haak, the curator of The Museum and several in Washington, D.C.) and we had a great meeting with Miss Naomi. I know a person loves something when they caress it with their fingers. She asked me if I really wanted to donate it and, I said only that would make me happy for it. She sweetly looked up to Charles and said, "I donated the mirror outside of The Ladies' Room; put this up outside The Men's Room."

Maybe I am shallow, but that made me so happy. I know that every guy leaving the Men's Room will stop and adjust their hair in my mirror with the evil Satyr glaring down on them.

It was a manic Monday.

6 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alexis,
Please, let me know if Mr. Gary has ever done any work with the Corcoran...rgds,
b&t mark

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

You are a true patron of the arts. Now please post pictures of the lesbians with their tops off....just for comparison sake, of course!!!

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to see a picture of these mirrors. Screw the lesbians. :) I bet this mirror is gorgeous!

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

Uncle Alexis,

This was the greatest story I have heard in a long time, and brought a much needed smile to my face! You are so kind and generous, it's unbelievable. I am so thankful in times like this to not only know that people as caring and giving as you exist, but that I am lucky enough to know you and call you my friend! That was so incredibly kind of you to befriend Miss Naomi and donate the mirror to her museum. As the Countess said, you are a true patron of the arts. A true patron saint of the arts, even! Thank you for being you :)

Love Always,
Jesse

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alexis, I "Thank You" for your enthusiasm and my "promotion",but others may NOT appreciate it so much.Miss Naomi herself is the Curator! I am the ASSISTANT Curator at WEAM and am a private Arts Consultant and erotica collector in Washington,D.C. A few pieces from my collection were published in "Folk Erotica" by Milt Simpson;Harper-Collins. Also, even though to the sophisticated,all Southern boys are the same,my home was TEXAS (not Kentucky). Needed to set this straight so that my fellow co-workers and Texans were not slighted.I do not work for any other museums,but Miss Naomi and I were introduced by an acquaintance of mine,an Assistant Curator at the Corcoran Gallery in D.C. It was a pleasure to meet you and I admire the selfless donation of the Satyr mirror/candleholder. Hope to see you again soon. Regards, GARY

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We would like to welcome all of Mrs. Astor's friends to the museum. That way you can all "contribute" to its success in South Beach.
Thank you,
Miss Naomi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home