"the" Mrs. Astor

Wednesday, June 21, 2006



Tonight is Jeremy's farewell party, and members of South Beach society with join the remaining members of his famed "7TH" in bidding him well on his long trip to South America. I've never quite accepted the term "Farewell Party" or "Going Away Party"; why would we have a party for the losing of a friend. I thought those were called Irish funerals.

We are actually celebrating his joy at making this trip. I, personally, just don't know what a blue-eyed, blonde haired cute guy will do in his spare time adrift in a sea of Latinos, but Jeremy doesn't seem worried. He is--after all--going on business.

I will also, tonight, formally disband and decommission his "7TH", the loyal band of troops he commanded for the past year. When we formed it one year ago, no one could have guessed how magnificently this group of young men would have banded together in service not only to their palace, but to each other. They traveled, thought, and drank as one, and an attack on one was regarded as an attack on all. Jeremy kept them in line, barking orders as only he could.

There is little use in trying to replace Jeremy and little strength left in me to reform the group. Many have left already for careers in distant lands, many others planning to. The Guard has dwindled down to a few members who can hum every showtune since Cats and a couple of others who would be the first to say, "I'll take Useless, But Interesting Facts for a thousand, Art". It is the end of an era, as all do come to.

So, tonight we celebrate one year of great fun and friendship the likes of which occur so seldom. The clouds of change are rolling in over the skies of The Palace. I'm an old-fashioned New Englander; I don't like change. But it will all be about Jeremy and his fanatically loyal 7TH and the one year they held everything together and kept those ever-revolting peasants surpressed.

8 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

Is it that time already? Please wish Jeremy well and remind him to stay out of the line of fire. Also, if he is stuck up by peasants this time, to give them more than his telephone number... God's speed, buddy.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Showtune said...

Ooooooooooooooh. How sad. That depressed me and it's not even 10am! To be deconstructed from the 7th. Oh what a sad day for the Palace! See you tonight . . . I'll be there with balls on . . . er . . . BELLS on!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

How sad that the 7th will be no more. Does this mean that they have to give back their Tinkerbell hats? This makes a tear roll down into my monogramed lace hanky.

Good luck to Jeremy. If he survives his going away party, he will survive South America! I will be there in spirit.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Pimpernel, Jeremy is behing a desk until he leaves the office this time. Then he's behind....well, let's not get into it.

Showtune, even you are leaving for richer pastures.

Countess, the boys may keep their Timkerbelle hats, of course. As far as no 7th, I will just await the storming of the gates, one hand clutched to my diamond brooch and the other on my pearl-handled revolver. In true aristocratic way, I will save the last bullet for myself. (Or escape out the back door.)

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Black and Tan Mark said...

I like to think of it as a graduation ceremony - and with that, there will always be reunions - Jeremy's November return will be the first one!
--B&T

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

I´ll be there with you all tonight, as everynight...


just as you all are with me everyday... in my heart.

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sniffle* someone pass me a tissue.

we all meet one another for a reason.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What could be more exciting than a man with 7 willies and a matching set of orifices? I wish there were more "s"es in that word...almost seems naked.
Hope you all have a super time with his send off my dear.
Mwah,
kb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home