"the" Mrs. Astor

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Happy Birthday, Carl


My dear, friend Carl's birthday was coming up and he had the mis-guided notion of escaping the event and flying off to some foreign capital. I cut this advance off in a pincer movement of lightening speed. First I made the calls, but then came the challenge. I detest normal, birthday cakes so I scoured the town to see the options and found this in an old favorite Argentine bakery of mine, "The Tastee Bakery". Baked low and flat, it was called "Pasta Frola, Coconut Membrillo" and was reputed to be "addicting".

No one wanted any, at first; the queens all poo-pooing the idea of it all until I had Ricky cut and present it on plates. It was tenuous at first, but eventually there was a stampede for slices as if they were the last train ticket out of St. Petersburg in 1917.


Suddenly, the first to jump on the bandwagon all had a plate and an rather pleasant smile on their face. Guarded compliments started to drift my way about the choice. I laughed it all off, of course; nothing was too good for Carl. My God, he has taken me on so many outings, opening, and outreaches that I should have invented a cake for that bitch from the start.


Julio was there with his boyfriend, David.

And the triumverate which runs The Wire, Augusto (the art director on the left), Carl (the owner and dilettante on the right, and Thomas the publicist, entertainment writer, but most of all WHORE, in the middle) seemed to be happy with the night.

In the end--you know what? We love Carl.

6 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

HAPPY B-DAY CARL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Happy Birthday, Carl!! So nice to see all the old friends at Carl's party.

A special hug to B&T....and a big ole kiss to Thomas Barker, the little cutie!!

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Officer Brian said...

Happy B-day Mr. Z!!!!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Showtune said...

my invitation must've been lost in the mail!

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

Alexis - You can lie all you want about buying that posh birthday cake, but I know the truth! I know a Queen Mary such as yourself went shopping for specialty ingredients and then slaved over a hot stove baking the day away to get that cake juuuuuuust right! ;)

You are totally right though - we sure all do love Carl!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CARL!!! :)

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Showtune! You told me you were in New York checking out the latest hits at the baths.

Jesse, you are one of the family and should not be giving away secrets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home