"the" Mrs. Astor

Friday, June 16, 2006

Ernie Glam


It takes--admittedly--a lot to make me shake in my satin, six-buttoned squashed-heeled boots, but a call from one of my best club kid friends from the hey-days of New York will do it. Ernie was, is, and always will be one of the most cherished creatures I ever came across, right up there with Lahoma van Zandt, Bunny, and Ru. During a moment of fond memories, I wrote about him and how much he meant to and influenced me.

He made me shudder in anticipation of meeting again, and when we did--well--we felt so good. So much had gone by, so many gone. Ernie arrived for a journalist conference in Ft. Lauderdale and made a special trip here to see me with his sweet boyfriend, David. We went to Balans and then, of course, to The Palace where Boris pulled out all the stops for such an important visit.

Ernie....I could go on and on. On about how intelligent he always was, how much fun could be had from his wondrous smile, and how whenever we met--and it was almost every day--how enriched I felt my life was. There was always a sardonic laughter to whatever we discussed and the promise that the next time we met would be even better.

Ten years later, it was better. Tomorrow, the photos of tonight; I'm tired and so fulfilled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home