"the" Mrs. Astor

Friday, July 21, 2006


For some time, I have referred to Miami Beach's City Hall as "Hitler's Bunker Above Ground"; this is unfair for it bestows a sort of homey charm on the place. You know: Russian tanks approaching and home made cakes being baked with a chaser of cyanide.

No such luck for what I call this ghastly place: The House of Frankenstein. You enter this castle of doom and immediately run into mis-shaped, hunchback women dragging their clubfeet around and looking with their one (good) eye under perfectly drawn brows. They mutter instructions through their puffed-out cheeks; avoiding the spittal requires the reflexes of a tennis pro. The hapless males all moan under their obvious deformities, too, most wearing a cheap polo shirt with an embroidered City crest; this allows them to ask, "You visit The House of Frankenstein? I WISH I could help you."


It is no wonder that my slow recovery from this summer cold was encouraged by visits to this temple to horror. Instead, I climbed to the roof of The Palace. I relaxed to the approach of storm clouds from the Bahamas; a good rain storm draws people together and makes the deformed ones at City Hall growl and claw toward the sky.

3 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

Lovely shot. Send some of those storm clouds my way -- anything to tame the heat!

New York air conditioning tomorrow!! Couldn't arrange time to get to Miami, I will see you in early September. Happy thoughts...

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

"New York air conditioning"

(cackles) IF you are lucky.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Rick Bettencourt said...

Enjoy the rain. It'll be stiffling hot before you know it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home