"the" Mrs. Astor

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Aida, My "Little" Slave Girl



The new Opera House, actually named The Ziff Ballet Opera House after Sanford Ziff, was a nice surprise. It wasn't an earth-shattering experience and was typical of modern architecture, but it was grand. The interior of the auditorium disappointed me, but I can easily dismiss that to a jaded past; the great hall is reputed to have one of the best acoustics in modern times, so if it was a little bland for my taste so be it. The sound was great; perhaps gold leaf and gargoyles don't help all that much in that area.

The show was stolen by Angela Brown as the princess-in-captivity/slave girl. She wasn't the most fragile of slave lovers, but her vocal abilities precluded all else. We were lucky to run into a employee of the Florida Grand Opera before hand who told us that the grand, Victory March of 140 performers did NOT have live elephants but (gorgeous) slave boys carrying huge tusks. I complimented her for not contributing to animal abuse and silently thanked her for giving me a new idea for slave boys.

We all agreed that is was refreshing to see Miami come out in all it's glory. Although the men were as boring as London on a Sunday, Miami's woman were in full regalia of jewels, gowns, and furs. And, there were plenty of what I called, in New York, Opera Queens.

So, I did what any Opera Queen WOULD do today: I bought tickets to the whole season including the world premier next March of "Anna Karenina". (And, I knew her back in the good, old days in St. Petersburg, so they better do her right!)

6 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger LARMOT said...

I am so glad you enjoyed the opera and the new theater. Until I took the full tour, I did not know that the acoustics were designed first and the architect then had to design around that. The sparseness was intended for patrons (I wonder who?)to focus on the stage and not the surroundings. The stage is the second largest in the country next to the MET. The elepahnts didn't make it into Miami as they could not get through TSA, but slave boys will do.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Ah, getting and architect to design around anything is an accomplishment.

Slave boys will always do.....

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

I may not be a little slave girl/princess named Aida who is about to die in a tomb, but I am still thinking about all those whom I am truly thankful for in my life this year - and you are at the top of this list. Thank you for being such a good friend and wonderful human being. You are the best, Uncle A! I'm thankful you are in my life and I hope your holiday was truly wonderful!! :-)

-Jesse

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Darling

Well now I am on your Blog. check me out. We missed you this week-end. I hope your Thanksgiving was as much fun as ours. YOU MISSED IT..... YOU MISSED IT Well maybe next time

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

du Barry said

you will have egg on your face

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Cooper said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the opera, and I'm glad that the Ziff finally opened!

Cheers,
Cooper

 

Post a Comment

<< Home